Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas present >

Christmas present

Christmas present

Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 PM

Default Christmas present

I don't log in too often but omg I need help. I have seen the beautiful and talented people all across the usa. All I can say is wow. Please help me. It seems everytime I pick a project its in the toilet very shortly. My new challenge is I started to make a Christmas tree skirt. I have it all cut out and I put my applique on in 3 places. I cut a slit up the back. The cut out circle in the center seems all stretched out and when I try to sew a binding on it, it won't lay flat and seems there is excess fabric up there. I don't know how to fix it. I think my middle circle is not completely circular. I don't know what I did wrong. I was going to tear it all apart but the applique is in place and I sewed the perimeter of it. Please somebody who is smarter than me please help me to save this costly project. Thank you so much. G
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM

Don't give up. I'm not sure about what you mean by the "center seams are all stretched out", but I assume the center cut you made for the back and the circle at the top? The stretch happened because the cuts are not on the lengthwise grain. One way would be to stabilize that edge with a basting running thread along the edge and slightly easing it in to fit the binding. Stabilizing with fusible on the back ( before putting in the backing) would also be way to hold things together. And remember that once those gifts are piled onto the skirt no one but you will know that you had difficulties.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks for your help. What I mean is there is too much fabric in the center circle. Doesn't make sense to me. I stay stitched around it. Its all put together 3 layers. I am stumped as to how this happened.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM

HI G, Sorry you are having so much trouble. Round edges do stretch so treat them with care. First finish everything but the top and then try the following. One idea to try is a hand gathering stitch at the center. You can then lay it flat and gently pull it in a little bit until it lays flat. Be sure to spread the gathers out around the whole circle. Then first baste the binding by hand, check it, then sew again by machine. You may pm me also for help. Do you have a picture you could email? I really hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Can you possibly post a photo of the center part laying flat on the floor? I can't quite understand your issue unless your center opening circle is not large enough. If it is too large the suggestions by GailG sound good to me.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM

When you made the skirt - did you make it with wedges like pieces of pie?? If yes, then maybe you got your measurements a little wrong and need to correct the wedges by taking a larger seam as you get closer to the center.

If you only cut a large circle (all one piece of fabric) to start with - how about this fix....do a large running stitch around the center circle (you can still do this with the layers - and then gently gather it until the skirt lays flat .... once that is done, knot the thread and then machine stitch over the gather...being sure not to move or stretch it. Then you can put your bias binding on to cover your stitches. It may be a little different than what you planned - sort of having pleats in the center where you gathered.... but your skirt will lay flat - and no one but you would ever know you didn't design it that way. I wish you very good luck, as it sounds like you put a lot of effort into this project.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM

HA .....I could not see TrishB's post when i typed mine....looks like we were both on the same wavelength - so maybe that's a good sign.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

If there is too much fabric in the center circle and you don't want to take it apart, it is time to re-think a solution. Can you add a narrow casing (with matching fabric)around the circle edge that you can run a nice piece of ribbon through? You can then kind of gather the circle around the tree trunk and tie off with the ribbon.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Love tartan's. Idea for any tree skirt
Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

I too like Tartan's idea. It will make it look like a plan ruffle. But I would take measurements just to find out what you did wrong so we all have to learn from our mistakes. Another thought is, was there a mistake in the pattern?? Sometime designers have posted corrections on their website.