Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything. >

Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Last Christmas I gave two of my nieces quilts for Christmas. Everyone made a big fuss over them so this year I decided to make my MIL and SIL another quilt for Christmas, like the ones I made the nieces. Then I remembered the oldest, married niece. She has a pit bull that chews holes in the walls of the house and anything else it can. She has two little children. The dog is gentle, but they haven't done anything to train it not to chew things. It chews shoes, blankets, clothes, baskets, everything. All they do is yell at it, which apparently is not working. I hate to give her a quilt that I spend so many hours and money on to have it ruined by their dog, but it will be very obvious if I don't give her a quilt. She will be the last female in the family who doesn't have a quilt. What should I do? I am so conflicted.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Make and give the gift with love...and then let go.

Really all you can do!!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

How about table runners and place mats to match? something high up (hopefully). dogs need to be trained. electrical cords can hurt a dog or start a fire. I hope she has better luck with her boys. Good luck on deciding.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Maybe talk to her – say you'd like to make her a quilt but know that she has problems with her dog chewing things, and would she like one anyway or would she like you to wait a few years till the dog has outgrown (!) the problem? At least it's a heads up that if you give her one, you don't want to see it chewed, and if she doesn't want to be responsible for keeping the quilt safe, she can say so since you are giving her an out.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM

How about a wall quilt? Not all quilts have to go on a bed.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
How about table runners and place mats to match? something high up (hopefully). dogs need to be trained. electrical cords can hurt a dog or start a fire. I hope she has better luck with her boys. Good luck on deciding.
I agree, make a table runner or a wall hanging that the dog will NOT be able to get at it. I have found that if dogs are trained properly like children, they don't grow up to be great pets.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM

OK, these are much better ideas than mine! I love the wall quilt idea.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Make the dog a little quilt of his own. Then maybe he will leave the other one alone. I make doggie quilts for my son and daughter's dogs. They sew up quickly.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Good luck! Sometimes dogs chew like that because of anxiety?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Maybe talk to her – say you'd like to make her a quilt but know that she has problems with her dog chewing things, and would she like one anyway or would she like you to wait a few years till the dog has outgrown (!) the problem? At least it's a heads up that if you give her one, you don't want to see it chewed, and if she doesn't want to be responsible for keeping the quilt safe, she can say so since you are giving her an out.
Maybe make the quilt, then ask her if she wants you to keep it for her until the dog outgrows his chewing habit. You could offer a tablerunner and placemats as a "placekeeper" while you hold onto the quilt. If she wants the quilt anyway, I would give it to her and just let go of what happens to it.

The advantage of making the quilt and keeping it for her is that she is reassured that her standing with you is equal to that of the other nieces; it's just her choice to have you store it for you until her house is ready for it.