Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Scraps >

Christmas Scraps

Christmas Scraps

Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Christmas Scraps

I bought a bag of fabric scraps a while back at a yard sale and there several Christmas pieces in there. Some are pretty good size and I want to make something to possibly sell in my antique booth but it must be something pretty simple. Any suggestions as to what might sell well?

Sales in the booth have been very slow the past few months and if I can't bring it up, I will have to give it up. I really don't want to do this but DH is being forced into early retirement and I can't afford to loose money.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM

If I were selling at an antique booth I would make a simple nine patch or similar and tea or coffee dye it so it looks more primitive .
Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM

I don't know if this might be something for you:
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=sipzCAflJQ8
Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Victorian style Christmas ornaments might work well and be an item shoppers might buy. Maybe Christmas stockings, candle mats, aprons with a turn of the century style pattern. Can you check your library for books that might show what types of items people used in their homes around a hundred years ago?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Christmas cards, tree orniments over mantel cover. There would upstairs downstairs designs. Tea staining would age. Lots of folded fabric which can pin on foam shapes. Mug rugs and the split glass base rug
Table runners small mats for tables. Christmas tree skirts.

Tr a google Victorian living room

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 09-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 PM

This is an interesting suggestion: a lot of people have bought travel trailers or motor homes in the last few years...camping or glamping has become a popular past time. I have seen some really cute fabric with trailers, trucks, deer, etc. I would definitely pick up something like a pot holder for a hostess gift, gift exchange etc.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 AM

What about a postage stamp quilt? Using 1" squares, you may not even be able to tell they're Christmas prints, so they could be mixed with other non-Christmas fabrics. That way it wouldn't be holiday-specific.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Reb

Whatever you choose, I think it would be more apt to sell if it were ready to gift. Meaning you've got a special wrap. Either provide gift wrapping for free or make a cloth bag for the item. Something so that once they've purchased it from you they are 'done' with that person's gift. Just a spark of an idea. Put together kits for kids to make ornaments. Some kind of craft package that can be given as a gift for kids to do during school break or before the holidays for them to give as gifts ie something for their teacher. (a styrafoam apple? Or ball etc. strips of fabric a small bottle of elmers glue, kid safe, rick rack or ribbon for a hanger). Make a package so that mom doesn't have to hunt up the glue, for example. Big office supply stores usually have big sales right now for school supplies. I can't say that they would sell, but they might be unique enough to. Good luck, it is a tough market.