Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Christmas Stocking Help Please?

Christmas Stocking Help Please?

I am wanting to make some Christmas stockings for an upcoming wedding shower. Can anyone tell me some good measurements for a Christmas stocking, some good sites to help me figure out how to make, or favorite pattern please? I have been wandering around the internet, and am getting more confused. Help please? m

Blog Entries
    I know this will sound kinda weird but here is what I did. I went to the dollar store after Christmas and found a stocking, the size and shape I liked. Bought it (CHEAP), took it home, layed it on a sheet of tissue paper, traced around it (adding 1/2" seam allowance), and VOILA! stocking pattern. just remember to cut one with the toe to the right, turn the pattern over and cut one to the left. Don't forget to do the same for the lining. I made a bunch of them this way a couple of years ago.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Quote Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
    I am wanting to make some Christmas stockings for an upcoming wedding shower. Can anyone tell me some good measurements for a Christmas stocking, some good sites to help me figure out how to make, or favorite pattern please? I have been wandering around the internet, and am getting more confused. Help please? m
    Here's the Bing search I did:
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=christm...7&ShowAppsUI=0

I am pretty sure that better homes and gardens, all people quilt, McCall's Quilting and martha stewart's sites has some in thier free projects. You might also try the pellon site. I think I saw one there too.

There are some pretty fancy ones in the main pattern company's crafts sections to buy. Or check your local sewing or quilting stores. They should all have them on sale now.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-31-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Thanks for all the help! I have found so many sizes, found some of the patterns from the bing site, and found some new ones. My head is swimming, because maybe I found too many. Wish I had started looking right after Christmas so I could have picked up a cheap one to use as a pattern.

Since it doesn't damage a stocking to use it as a pattern, ask a friend to let you borrow one for day or two.

Blog Entries
    There use to be an AWESOME pattern (and rather large) on FAT CAT PATTERNS
    but I don't see it there anymore.
    Louise - I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world . Also collect homemade pincushions, and sewing/quilting themed fabrics.

I made some stockings for the first time this past holiday. I went for a size and shape pleasing to me -- not too big, because you have to put too much stuff in it, lol, and not too narrow, because that looked too artsy to me. I think you can't really go wrong, as long as it looks good to you!