Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Church Quilting Groups >

Church Quilting Groups

Church Quilting Groups

Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Default Church Quilting Groups

Does any one here belong to their church quilting group? I just took over ours and we meet weekly for all day quilting. We typically either all bring stuff for a potluck or go out to eat and then we take turns being the host and bring an afternoon dessert. What do your groups do? Other than quilting to raise money, do you have other fund raisers? Do you make things for certain charities each year, other than mission quilts?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Our church group meets every Tuesday from 10-4, we work on mission quilts, lap quilts, and quilts for our yearly auctions, and we also make 2 raffle quilts every year. We get our fabric free from the various manufacturers, and we buy the batting, thread, rotary blades online. We each bring our own lunch, and then someone normally brings some goodies for coffee time...we are a small group, 5-7 women, but we put out over 100 quilts in 9 months. We also make quilts for 3 local fire halls to give to fire victims, our local crisis center, any family that needs one. I also make prayer shawls for our church, and they are given to anyone who needs one. Our group is like family, we have our disagreements, but after everything is all said and done....we are always there for each other!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 AM

I do. We have only started and are working on quilts for our selves. We will be doing charity quilts when others get to know haow to.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 AM

I would like to start one at our church, but haven't organized myself to do so.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 AM

I belonged to a group in PA. That met in a church. We made 2 quilts per member to give to the hospital for babies that are sick. Then we work on totes and a matching small pillow to give to the breast cancer center. The ladies love them plus the pillow goes under their arm for support. Then in between we work on projects for ourselves, have show n tell most of all friendships develop. We share ideas and supplies all the time. This is a great n fun group. I sure miss them!!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM

I do -- we make mission quilts and quilts for the food bank at Christmas. We have 2 groups -- one meets weekly and one monthly and we get together for special projects. We either pack a lunch or take turns making lunch for the goup.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM

My church had a group that meets only about 2 hours per week. I found that wasn't enough for me to take my things and go. A lot of quilters do their piece work at home. Then at church the tops are sandwiched, put in frames and ties put in them.

We belong to an international group called Prayers and Squares out of San Diego [you can look them up on the net.] The quilts are all lap quilts or smallish throws. The quilts are then put up in our sanctuary on Sundays with the name of the individuals to receive the quilts. The reason is private. Parishioners are asked to say a prayer for the person as they tie square knots to tie the quilt. There is no cost to join this organizations. You do receive a lot of help in starting up and maintaining a quilting group.

ali
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 AM

I go to our church for quilting. We have so far given only to missions. I do like the ideas that you have given for other places to give quilts. I am going to talk to the others in my group about them. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

our group meets twice a month- we usually just have coffee and cookies- or something like that-
we make adult bibs for the local care facility, placemats for the senior center 'meals on wheels' programs--have just started making sleeping bags for the homeless
we have little classes to teach each other different techniques, we make a couple community quilts each year for fund raisers, we do a couple different round robin projects. now-till the holidays we are working on table runners, tree skirts, small gift items...the sleeping bags we all work on together...as for raising funds- we have a couple quilt raffles ...many community members donate fabrics, and other materials to group members all the time.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 AM

I did belong to the sewing group but it has ended now. We only had four of us regulars. One of the great things we did was to have a quiltathon. We got all the kits ready from donated fabrics and had a signup for sewers to come and help put the quilts together. We had it on a Saturday and had a great turnout. The quilts were small and all donated to the pregnancy crisis center. During our regular meetings, we would start with prayer, show and tell and then go on to work on quilts for missions or dresses and shorts for Africa. We all brought our lunch and it was a great time. I sure miss it!