Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
City Quilter is closing! >

City Quilter is closing!

City Quilter is closing!

Old 08-06-2016, 06:24 AM

Default City Quilter is closing!

I am in shock. Where on earth will my Bee find lovely fabric we can touch?
Can anyone recommend a great fabric store within 50 miles of NYC?
A room of batiks? Lots of Asian. Lots of Kaffe. Blenders and blenders?
I know there is a nice shop in Montclair, NJ. Sooooooooo sad!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:49 AM

Best to do some Google search since you know your distance limits
Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I been in Mood but don't remember about cotton fabric there. Also the garment district shops have tons of fabric. It's been a long time since I was there though.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Their email was a shock. I live 15 minutes from midtown Manhattan and City Quilter was always something to look forward to when I attended meetings at Empire Quilt Guild nearby or on football Sundays. Friendly personnel, great fabrics, the excitement of a child in a toy store when I'd walk in. Cathy and Dale (owners) are to be congratulated for all they've done for quilting, there's no other place like it in NY. (Garment district shops are great but not for quilting fabric, at least not when I used to shop there) Maybe a buyer who loves quilts and quilting will come along. I just can't believe City Quilter will disappear. Wishing Cathy and Dale the best in their next venture.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 AM

Not to many people in the city area quilt and rent is sky high. I live on Staten Island and there is not a single shop for fabric. I did visit the City Quilter one time and although the store had a nice selection of fabric and notions, it did not have many customers. Sad people in the city are not all that into quilting. I rely mostly on the internet for my fabric.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I know how you feel dotty. My favorite was the hancock fabrics that just went down forever closing the doors. I tried to buy as much as I could use from them to keep a small stash around to sew with. Hopefully you can do that too.
I guess we will have to watch the on line sales to find what we want or need. I do sometimes buy from connecting threads who will ship free if I buy over fifty dollars worth. It is pretty easy to do since I like to buy my batting there on sale.

Many other sites have sales at different times of the year. Craftsy comes to mind of three purchases I made that were fifty percent off what I needed. The fat quarter shop on line has many nice fabrics in their clearance I have bought and been happy with.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 AM

Sorry, I don't know of a place to shop Dot. Living on Staten Island I either buy from the Quilters Attic when I visit my daughter in Pine Bush NY or the internet. Mostly the internet because when I visit my daughter I usually don't have time for another hr. drive.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

It is always sad to hear of yet another fabric shop closing its doors. I travel 45 miles to my nearest shop. I make sure I do inventory on my supplies before I go because it isn't often. Good luck finding a new source.
peace
Old 08-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Nationally known NYC quilter Paula Nadelstern has a city fabric guide.

http://www.paulanadelstern.com/guide.php
Old 08-06-2016, 06:23 PM

I was also sad to hear of City Quilters closing. There is a new quilt store in East Hanover, NJ called Sew Jersey. They have lots of beautiful fabric and the shop is bright and cheerful. The owners are very nice. I took one class there and it was well attended. They sell Janome machines. I wish them success.