Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Class last night >

Class last night

Class last night

Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Last night I taught a class on trapunto. It was my first class to a group (7). I always teach one to one. It was great. We had a great time. The ladies learned it well and had plenty of time to practice and get their projects almost completely done. I was told it was the best class my guild ever held because they always pick a project and all sit to do it together with one person telling everyone what to cut and what to sew when. My class was to learn a technique that has many applications and they liked it. Actually, they all made different projects, just to encourage them to go around and see what everyone else was making. Someone even proposed to help me find jobs for me and my husband so we don't have to leave this town.

One very funny comment was made. Since I was not teaching at my house and there are many different ways to do trapunto, like different ways to mark their fabrics, battings, scissors, etc, I took many things from my sewing room and laid them on the table, to have everything handy in the class. One lady came to the table, looked around, and asked me if I brought the kitchen sink. I said: As a matter of fact I did. I then pulled a large bowl from my bag that I was planning to use at the end to dissolve the water soluble thread. I even had the water. She screamed laughing at herself and we all laughed. She then said that she deserved that for being a smart ass. I may have to teach the same class again since some people could not make it..
Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Wow, sounds like your class was a huge success. Trapunto is so beautiful. Sounds like it was a great group of ladies. :D
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Sounds like it went beautifully. You must be an excellent teacher!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

I wish I could have been there. You sound like a wonderful teacher.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 AM

Sounds like a great class!
I sure would have been there!
Trapunto is something that intrigues me.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 AM

I had to do a search to know what you all were talking about....it sounds really involved! Would love to see some pictures of some you have done. :)
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 AM

Sounds like you all had fun.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 AM

I wish you lived closer to me so that I could have been there for your class!! It sounds like a good time was had by all!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM

How about doing that class here on the board?
I bet a lot of people would be interested including me!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM

I will start working on a tutorial for the board. It sounds easy but there are so many details that come up during a class that is very difficult to cover everything in a tutorial. My first ten minutes were planned to be devoted to marking the fabric and it lasted 30 minutes, because everyone had a different color fabric, some were able to use a light box to trace the design, others had to iron freezer paper on the back an others had to pin the paper to the top, trace the design with stitching and peel the paper off after. Is a good thing I had 4 hours to teachit, bacause everyone had great questions and got them answered. Again, I will see if my son can be my photographer, but he will not be available until Saturday.