Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
classes put on by guild >

classes put on by guild

classes put on by guild

Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
The guild I belong to has national teachers come and give talks and give classes. We are required to pay the fee which is non-refundable. The last instructor we had gave a class for $35.00 and at a national quilt show the same class was $80-$100. I understand why you are concerned but our bus trips are the same way. They are non-refundable unless you can get someone to take your place. I had to miss a class that I had paid for due to my illness but I knew it was non-refundable and accepted it. You don't want a teacher to show up and then no students.

Our guild was having problems with folks signing up for the free classes (and our space is not large enough to have all sewing--only about a fourth of the members), so we have gone to a nominal fee(varies depending of supplies provided) and a waiting list. Even though these are practically free compared to national shows, any teacher--national or guild member--must prepare and feels slighted if attendance is low. Plus, since not all members are able to participate, it seems fair that those of us taking the class should off-set the cost at least some instead of the guild paying for copying directions, etc for just a few.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I agree. I think you need to voice your concerns to her. Maybe she can agree to a full refund if you give a 24 hour notice that you can't attend. That is a common policy for many businesses. If you can give a 24 hour notice, she should be able to get a replacement student if she keeps a waiting list of quilters who were too late to be included initially.
I agree. If there is a waiting list or you can find a replacement and you give at least 24hr notice, you should get a refund on your deposit.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

No shows have spoiled it for the ones that show up.

Most people are more likely to "remember" and "show up" if they have something invested in a class or event.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:30 AM

If i was willing to teach and at the last minute there were "no shows" without consequence, ya betcha I would not teach. Of course i would expect to be paid as contracted. Stand up a doctors' appt and you may also be charged for the missed appt.

sandy