Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clean Your Machine of lint! >

Clean Your Machine of lint!

Clean Your Machine of lint!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 AM

I will also testify to the benefits of cleaning the machine. It is quite amazing how much lint can accumulate around the feed dogs from a short period of sewing. I like the idea of filling only two bobbins. I may have to change my ways a little because I usually wind maybe 10 or 15 bobbins so I can keep right on quilting without stopping to fill a bobbin. Another thing that goes along with the cleaning of the lint is to change the needle. It may look perfect but I have found that changing the needle after 2 or maybe 3 lap quilting projects is a very good idea.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 AM

A sewing machine repairman told me that my machine's greatest enemy, apart from just letting it sit unused, is lint.
And I feel guilty about my older machines that don't get used any more since I bought my Juki, cause they do just sit there, unused.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Yes, lint is a FOUR LETTER word to sewers........make it a point to check and clean each sewing day
I clean mine first thing everyday, if used heavy the day before I oil lightly, make bobbins and press, cut, then sew.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM

Just wanted to bump this. Saw the thread and DID NOT read it but it stuck in my head.

Going to get my quilt from LAQ tomorrow and MUST have it all done by April 13th. Needless to say, my machine was running great this afternoon. Not so after dinner. Nearly had a fit! Thanks to this title for floating through my mind as I was trying to solve the problem.

Lint was the problem and now my machine is running beautifully again. Thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM

What a birds nest could be made with all are lint! It would be enough for an eagle's nest and nice and soft.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM

My dealer told me about a lady who brought her machine in for repair because the feed dogs wouldn't go down. Well guess what? She had so much lint built up under the feed dogs that they couldn't go down.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 AM

My friend came to class after just picking up her machine from repairman. She was in a flap so I went over on moving the plate all the feed dogs were thick in lint and below bobbin had thick bunnies. Repairman had not touched It. It was a first service .
Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Don't think I would go to that repairman again!
In addition to cleaning the lint out of your bobbin area, you need to check your walking foot periodically as well. Last night I was having trouble with mine and discovered that guess what - it had accumulated lint in the mechanism.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Never let a machine that is self lubricating sit unused for a long time without running it. The lubrication comes from the turning of the silicone parts. The parts will seize up.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reminder - I do clean my machine regularly and oil it with every project. Just took it in for service and a good shop cleaning. It is amazing how much better the machine sews when cleaned and oiled!