Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean Your Machine of lint!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

Clean Your Machine of lint!

I quilt, quilt and quilt! Last few days thinking a bad problem at hand. Irregular stitches. This AM the fabric was grabbed. Thankful not a whole. I took off my feed dog plate and...... There was so much lint my feed dogs were not working well! Compacted lint too! My world is back! I quilt, quilt and quilt! Back to regular stitches and happy! :0)
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

Blog Entries
    thanks for the reminder!
    Nancy in western NY

Yes, lint is a FOUR LETTER word to sewers........make it a point to check and clean each sewing day

I clean the bobbin area every time I change the bobbin. I learned the hard way too. I was making an embroidered shirt for my grandson. The machine kept staying in the same spot, or going way off the design. I went through five shirts before I tried cleaning it.

I was amazed the first time I opened my Bernina 801 (bought it used on eBay) how much lint a small space could hold. Lint was felted under and around the feed dogs. A week later, I took a class on machine care and she showed me how to open other areas of the machine and I found even more lint packed in. I dust out at each bobbin change and about every third bobbin, I oil my machine and open everything up to make sure it is lint free.

Packed lint is probably why my Singer sends everything to the left. I plan to give that one a good cleaning before donating it as it is my fourth string machine, so someone else should have a chance to enjoy it.

Cheers, K

I'll clean mine out again today. I've gone thru four bobbins of thread with my current quilt project and I did clean it out twice so probably time to do it again.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

It really does build up fast!!!!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    When I start a project, I wind three bobbins. When they are gone, it's time to clean & oil. When the project is finished, I toss the needle (unless it was a small project). I haven't been at this long, but I've read enough on this wonderful board to know that good habits can save me a lot of agony. I seem to create enough of that myself.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Good point, I use to wonder why machine would be so loud while sewing! I also learned that you need to oil it as well.

This is why I fill only two bobbins at a time. When I run out of bobbin thread,
    I know it's time to clean my machine. Otherwise I would probably just keep going.
    Who likes to stop and clean? LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast