Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: cleaning bobbin area question

Blog Entries

cleaning bobbin area question

Just wondering if there is a gadget out there to vacum out the bobbin area on our sewing machines. I have a drop in bobbin and when it collects fuss balls the bobbin will skip. I have the small attachments for my regular vacum. However, it is a hassel to drag out that big machine each time. Just wondering if there is such a thing as a hand held mini vac just for machines and electronics. If so where can I purchase one. If anyone knows I know the quilting board will know this answer. Thanks so much ahead of time.
    Charlene

Banned
    Clotilde has a small vacuum for machines.
    I use the little brush that came with my machine and a tweezer to clean my bobbin areas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    Clotilde has a small vacuum for machines.
    I use the little brush that came with my machine and a tweezer to clean my bobbin areas.
    I did order what I have from them. It was not a small vac. It was attachments. I will look again to see if I can find it. Thanks.
    Charlene

amh
    I agree it is a hassel to drag out the vac to put the attachments and vacuum out the area and, although I have an inborn need to keep that area very clean, I only vacuum when I know it needs it. However, every time I change the bobbin I put a drop of oil on a Q-tip and clean the area. It is always amazing how much gunk comes out on that Q-tip. I also use the Magic Genie, and think it also helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdo_q0M2rsw

It may be important to note that I do not have a computerized sewing machine, so I have do issues with a bit of oil, but I think you have to be more careful with them. I had one machine that took one tiny drop of oil in that bobbin area (into the little bump with the hole in it) every time the bobbin was filled. I tore my hair out until I discovered that little quirk of the machine. I recently gave that old machine it to a friend of my mine, and received a call a little while later saying "what was it you said I should do when it starts to skip." One drop of oil did the trick.

I have not heard of a portable mini vac for machines, so continue on with my little regime.

amh
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    i agree that dragging the big machine out is a hassle, but it does a very good job in the deeper regions of my Juki that i cannot reach with qtips, tweezers, or artists brush
    Nancy in western NY

i agree with quiltnNan it is a hassle but it sure is worth it to
    keep the machine humming along.

Blog Entries
    I have this one. Works OK for the bobbin area
    http://www.crafttownhobbylandusa.com...hp?prod=NSP102
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have a car vac sitting in its charger beside the sewing area. It has a fold-out spout that fits into the bobbin area nicely.

Blog Entries
    I bought a $29.00 machine from Nancys Notions, it weighs about3 pound but has the suction of a big machine. I use this and my sewing machine stays lint free much longer
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Just a note of caution: I was going to purchase one of those mini vacs from Office Depot that is used for keyboards/computers but the clerk told me to "save my $$" that it didn't work well at all. I have been on the lookout for one ever since. Going to check on the above recommendations! Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast