Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning the bobbin area >

Cleaning the bobbin area

Cleaning the bobbin area

Old 07-16-2016, 04:25 AM

My machine repairman suggests using a makeup brush ( think blush applicator brush) to clean out the bobbin area. He said it picks up much more lint debrie than the little brush that comes with the machine. He also suggested getting the small vacumn attachments that come in a package at Home Depot and Lowes.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Depends on the fabric I'm using. If flannel, there is more lint and requires closer attention. I use a little brush and then put a few drops of machine oil on a Qtip and swipe around the case and down as far as the Qtip will go--just don't drop it! Am always surprised how much lint sticks to that tip. Do not use canned air as it only redistributes the lint inside the machine.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 AM

I have been doing mine when I wind a new bobbin. When I start a project I fill several bobbins. When they are going and I have to wind some more, I pull and clean my bobbin area including using a vacuum with a small attachment I have for sewing machines. I worked in a quilt shop that repaired machines and that is the advise he gave me. I never use can air, I have seen what that will do with an enclosed bottom to the machine with a drop in bobbin. My older machine that is not drop in, I will use can air, since the whole bottom is open. I do not oil my newer machines since the user manual does not tell where to oil, I let the service man do that once a year. My older machines I do follow the manual on oiling also. Keeping your machines purring is important.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Do a good cleaning after a project, not every bobbin change. Goodness.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Do a good cleaning after a project, not every bobbin change. Goodness.
This what I do unless I see what looks like extra lint or if I have bird's nests (not often thank goodness).
Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Not until the fuzz bunnies wave their ears and say " we're here!"
Old 07-16-2016, 09:17 AM

I used to fill as many bobbins as I thought I needed to finish a project. Now I only fill two, when they are empty I know I need to clean. Cotton thread leaves so much lint, also flannel fabric'
Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
On my one machine with the drop in bobbin, I pull out the bobbin case and clean after every bobbin. I only pull the needle plate a couple times a month, unless I notice build up around the feed dogs.

My other machines all have vertical bobbins and are a little less finicky than the drop in bobbin. My main quilter, the PQ1500s gets a quick brush out when I change the bobbin if I think about it, or if I notice lint build up. I pull the needle plate twice a month and clean that area when I oil the machine. Same with the VX560 and the Featherweight.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Are you saying you only oil about every two weeks. I know I'm oiling too much (every 2nd. bobbin). The oil is coming out the bottom. I used to oil as per my manual (2-3 drops per port), now I'm using one drop & it's still leaking out the bottom.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I take the plate off and clean the feed dog area when I think I haven't done it in a long time. The thread I use has very little lint so there isn't much lint collected in the bobbin area at all even after a few months. I think most of the lint comes from my fabric. I oil when I think about it. Really I don't baby my machines that much, just try to remember that they do need care every now and then.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM

I clean out the bobbin area after every project, or before I start the next one - which ever you want to say it. But sometimes if the thread throws off a lot of lint I may need to do it sooner. I judge it when I change my bobbins.