Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning an iron

Let the iron totally cool and use a mr clean magic eraser. Those things are miracle workers. It once got indelible black sharpie marker off a light wood desktop (thanks to my then-2-year-old).

You might try a color grabber to take the dye out of the white. You'll have to wait until you get your quilt is done then wash it with the Color Grabber. They're available at Hancocks and probably other places too. I always use them when I'm washing new fabric and have never had any staining problems.

If that doesn't work, try hair spray. Hair spray will remove ink and marker marks. I would spray it on a cloth rather than the iron. Rubbing alcohol might work also.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles_62
    have you tried using a brown paper sack and salt? to use open sack and pour bout 1 cup salt on and plug in iron when it gets hot iron the salt , might work . it work on a black spot i had on mine , good luck .
    I have used this several times to get adhesive off my new iron. Works great. Can't hurt to try it, it may be just what you need. Inexpensive too.

Blog Entries
    That is awful! Can you use steel wool or sos pad?

Blog Entries
    ? Would finger nail polish remove it????

I have always used an SOS pad to clean my iron. Works like a charm. Best of Luck!

I like Iron-Off that you buy. So far it has gotten everything off that I managed to get on my iron. It's simple to use. Just squirt some on an old towel or cloth and iron over it. Whamo, it's clean. :-)

Mr. Clean eraser is the best method of cleaning your iron. That is all I use. Of course after the iron is cooled off.

Hi - not sure if this does work as I've not tried it, but read somewhere recently that using white vinegar on a cold iron will remove gunge. You might have to rub it quite a bit. Good luck and hope it all comes off. Agree with using the colour remover to get the red out of your white fabric.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast