Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cleaning older quilt

Doing small repairs on quilt that is about 25-30 years old for co worker. It's heavily used/soiled. Size about 75*75 and has poly batting.

Any suggestions how to safely clean this. It's hand quilted but machine pieced. Has been kept in a camper...shame...so has an odor to it, too.

Christine has a front loading washer if you guys think this m/b a good way to wash this.

Waiting patiently for all the suggestions.

RST
    Blog Entries
    Is it cotton or a blend, or can you tell? Assuming that it is in fairly good shape and is not going to rot away, I would probably wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle in the machine, pretreating stains with whatever seems the most appropriate product -- shout, borax, oxyclean? and then using vinegar in the rinse to help with the odor. I would line dry, preferably in the sun, and recheck for stains and odor. It may take several washings.

RST

Someone told me that you can soak it in Biz, but it has to stay in the Biz for at least 8 hours. I haven't required to do this, so I don't know if Biz would be safe or not.