Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning a sewing machine >

Cleaning a sewing machine

Cleaning a sewing machine

Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
The best thing I have found to clean my machines is pipe cleaners. I went to a "dollar store" and bought a bag of long one that are sold for kids crafting. They pick every bit of lint and don't let go. I've been told on a couple of occasions by sewing machine mechanics that I have a very clean machine.
Great tip I use them as well, they are great but also get the fuzzy floss and run that through the thread lines on the machine, sure takes care of fuzzies there as well.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 AM

sew freak, try rubbing a small amount of sewing machine oil all, around the plate cover give it a few minutes then try to pop it open,a another tip i use the wipes for cleaning your eye classes to clean the lens inside because sometimes if it has very small speck of lent the machine will still read that your bobbin is dirty on some computer sewing machines, at least my dose
Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
I often take the throat plate off and get all those icky fuzzies out of the bobbin area. I have found that those longer eye shadow brushed or water color paint brushes work the best. I also have a little vacuum made for electronics that works pretty for the fuzzies near the top. I hadn't ever thought about taking the bottom off. I must check and see if I can do that with my Janome.....
I have a Janome 6600P and my dealer told me to take the bottom off of the machine and clean the lint out of that area. (There are 4 screws that hold the bottom plate on the machine.) I try to do it every few quilts. It is amazing how much fuzz gets in there. The machine runs much better and quieter after a good cleaning.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM

I have the same machine. the 6600. I didn't know about taking the bottom off. I am going to check it out tomorrow. I was worried, because of it being a computerized machine. Thank you so much for the information.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 PM

I take off the throat plate and clean out the bottom, underneath the bobbin as far as I can get.

I also try to oil what I can get to, or where metal rubs or might rub against metal.

That is what cleaning means to me.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 AM

Sew freak. I had same problem with my bernina. I kept taking it to classes with me and started to clean as my first job found plenty to take the plate off for me. It is much easier now.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 AM

I use Q-tips to clean around the bobbin case, under the throat plate. Oil, and repace the needle. Wipe the exterior.
I do this after every quilt.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
now, if i could only get the fuzzies off the furniture and from under the bed LOL
I know this is an old post, but no one mentioned: Those fuzzies are a sign of a sewing machine being used often. If anyone has them, it is clearly a sign that your sewing machine needs to be cleaned!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM

Most of my machines are vintage and I clean the heck out of them. When I oil the machine, I take the thread and bobbin out of the machine. I tilt the machine over and press the power petal. This way you can see the moving parts that need to be oiled.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter View Post
I have an Elna 7300 and it is computerized. Do you think I can take it apart to clean?
If your machine is computerized, you will void the warranty if you do not take it to a dealer for service.