Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clear thread or...and black batting or? >

Clear thread or...and black batting or?

Clear thread or...and black batting or?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 AM

Default Clear thread or...and black batting or?

I recently took my avatar to be quilted by someone I consider both artistic and accomplished and we discussed how it is to be quilted. Because it is a really busy and vibrant top ( Curling Colors by Jacqueline deJonge pattern with my batik choices) it was suggested that in the busiest sections that she would use clear thread and I agreed. However, I recently read where this type of thread is not a great choice when it comes to longevity and how it can easily break even during the initial quilting. Is this an accurate appraisal of this kind of thread and if so...what would be a better choice given all the intersecting colors and changing to matching colored threads would be an astronomical cost?

Also, should I suggest a black batting...I read where "bearding" can be a further problem with black fabrics? I have always asked for wool batting in the few quilts I have made and that batting has a funny net like covering, that I assume prevents some of the wool being pulled to the surface of a quilt? However, this was a seriously challenging piece to make, given my inexperience, and I want to make smart choices before she starts on this top.

Thanks for your help...this is always such a helpful place to find answers
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Bearding can be a problem with some batting especially if you press your seams open. There are so many invisible threads used now a days. The stuff made in the 90s really felt like fishing line. I never use the stuff any more unless there is NO other way of dealing with the quilting and usually that is only on wall hangings. I usually can find some kind of shade of color thread to use. Just my old fashion opinion.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

If you have pressed open your seam then I would use black batting. The new clear threads are much better in strength and easier to stitch with. I believe there is a invisible thread called "smoke" that I would be tempted to use. Since I am not a long armer though, consult with your quilter.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

There are many invisible threads on the market. I would assume if your long arm quilter suggested that thread she has experience with it and is using one that works well with her machine. I quilted my son's first quilt 11 years ago with invisible thread, it is holding up fine.