Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In the closet?? >

In the closet??

In the closet??

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Ok so we have a smallish apartment 3 bedrooms but they are all taken by my kids (and I cant make them sleep in the hallway though the idea of my OWN sewing room is tempting haha) so I have moved my quilting area into what once was my walk in closet. It is actually quite large. I have tubs full of fabric but I am wondering what kind of system I could put in to help me have better access to fabrics instead of digging through huge tubs. What do you use and what do you recommend (or NOT recommend) to help at least a little bit?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Attach more shelves to the walls, maybe a scond long one above the first? Put book cases inside to place folded fabric on? I bought plastic shelves that were in the garden center of Walmart for $7. 3 sets put together make 2 very nice, tall units. They fit nicely in my closet, and I stack 2-3 totes in front too. I slide out the totes and have access to all. I am keeping the larger pieces in the totes (3yds+) and other misc things, and the rest on the shelves. Scraps go in small tubs on the shelves too.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

My quilting frame is in my bedroom so I know what you are talking about. I would put shelves in there. My fabric is under the frame in totes and I know how hard it can be to find what you want.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 AM

I am working out of a hall closet.I keep my fabric in bags. But what I would really like to do one day is have my fabric on shelves. there is a post in the tutorial section that has you putting fabric on boards much like a quilt shop. I would do this and place them on book shelves or built in shelves. you can get those attach to wall metal shelving units and use wood boards instead of the wire mess shelves. my parents house has a room that would make a perfect sewing room. It has a closet that is about 12x17. it is the size of my sons bedroom. those closet systems that you can piece together or buy as a kit are great because they have the shelves and the shelf holders. If you attach to the wall make sure that you use some heavy duty wall anchors.That way the weight of the fabric wont pull the screws from the walls. Hope this helps. and for the scraps get the tote bins that are small and use them also. They also have wire mesh cubes that are open on one end and you connect them into massive block walls. this could be used as dividing walls to store the fabric in if you get that much. or you can use them against the walls as a shelving unit you can move around. it is all about how versatile you want it and how permanent you want the organization to be.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

does the closet have hanging rods? if so, look for the hanging shoe or sweater holders that hang down from the bar. You can get a lot in those and they don't take up much room.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 AM

exactly what I was going to suggest ;-)
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM

We are only going to be in this apartment for another year (just renewed lease) and then we are going to move into a bigger place so I dont want it TOO permanent. Yes there are rods all the way across 3 walls. That is a very good idea. Ill see what I can find! Thank you everyone. I am also looking into shelving/basket ideas :)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM

You can also hang larger pieces, finished quilts and some blocks on skirt hangers.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Pam

I have lots of fabric folded and on hangers in the closet, out of the light, tucked them in behind my son's clothes, he either has not noticed them yet, or has given up on me not spreading into his room, too.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:11 PM

If you get some small to med, clear totes, that might help.