Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
clothing catalog in my quilting magazine >

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM

I think I am just tired of all magazines and especially now since McCalls said we cannot even put one in a local show made from anything from their magazines went so far as to say even the people putting on the show would be responsible wonder if they are going to send quilt police to all shows anyway I don't need any magazine like that either so I am not renewing any of them
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Y'see, what happens is, you get some real quilter(s)who get a nice little business going, make good, and then sell out or get bought out.
Guess what's the first priority THEN??
Quilting?
Fabric?
Community?
Promoting a beloved craft?
Bddrrrrpt!!!
Wrong answer.

It's money.
But the people who "know how to make money" don't know how to feel the pulse of their buying consumer base, quite evidently, because We are not amused.
Unamused people do not renew.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM

I surely have noticed that other magazines with that much advertising charge much less for a subscription. I think we are being ripped off when we have to buy quiltiing magazines that are half advertising and then pay a premium for a subscription. Also, I think the content has been compromised and a lot of the quilts they have had in the magazines lately are not something I want to make, therefore I am dropping most of my subscriptions and I'll refer to my many quilting books instead, or invent my own patterns.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
I surely have noticed that other magazines with that much advertising charge much less for a subscription. I think we are being ripped off when we have to buy quiltiing magazines that are half advertising and then pay a premium for a subscription. Also, I think the content has been compromised and a lot of the quilts they have had in the magazines lately are not something I want to make, therefore I am dropping most of my subscriptions and I'll refer to my many quilting books instead, or invent my own patterns.
I agree with everything you said here. Why should we pay for their advertising. From what I'm hearing, print material is on its way out anyway because most people are getting what they need on the internet. Oddly, I stopped taking "Better Homes & Gardens" yrs. ago yet I still get them. I still barely look at them since I have to dump all of those ad cards out before I can turn pages. Most of the time, I don't even open it.

As for quilt magazines, I'm with you in that their rarely is anything that appeals to me enough to make.

Ok, there's my soapbox. LOL
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 AM

I am also upset with Quiltmaker who published a FlipFlop pattern in the Jan/Feb 10 issue with instructions and they are giving a new pattern every issue this year without any instructions. If you didn't save the first issue, you are out of luck for the pattern instructions now. They have sold out all the printed back issues and if you want the instructions now you must buy the digital version evem if you have already paid for a printed subscription. Many have written in to ask for printable instructions and they did assure them that this was coming, however I can't find any way to get them without paying for the same issue again and I'm not going to do that, and I may drop that subscription also because of their poor customer service amd not making free instructions available to their subscribers.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
I am also upset with Quiltmaker who published a FlipFlop pattern in the Jan/Feb 10 issue with instructions and they are giving a new pattern every issue this year without any instructions. If you didn't save the first issue, you are out of luck for the pattern instructions now. They have sold out all the printed back issues and if you want the instructions now you must buy the digital version evem if you have already paid for a printed subscription. Many have written in to ask for printable instructions and they did assure them that this was coming, however I can't find any way to get them without paying for the same issue again and I'm not going to do that, and I may drop that subscription also because of their poor customer service amd not making free instructions available to their subscribers.
I wasn't sure I understood this. Are you saying that they printed all the instructions for all the patterns in the first issue, then just the pattern with no instructions in subsequent issues? That works handily for them if they then force you to buy a second "copy" of the same magazine. A warning would be nice.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 AM

I just called Fons and Porter and spoke to rep. about this problem and they are looking into it.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM

i was also disappointed with the latest issue of F&P mag. and didn't they already feature a quilt with the paper dolls a while back? i think that their quilts are all kinda the same thing over and over, but unfortunately my scrip goes til N/D 2011. i won't be renewing. i agree about the plastic/wrapped magazines-i like to see what i'm getting!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM

I hate plastic wrapped in the store. Love them in the mail. I thought APQ was much higher than F&P but maybe I just got a really good deal on F&P.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 AM

I was miffed about it. It is a quilt magazine. Not a clothing catalog. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way, but I don't want all of the extra STUFF in my magazine!