Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clothworld Fabric

Blog Entries

Clothworld Fabric

Does anyone know anything about a fabric maker called Clothworld? I have 8 yards of fabric left to me by my sister and its from Clothworld. The name on it is Lilacs1992 with cloth gard finish. It feels heavier than cotten but it doesnt say for sure what it is. I want to use it for a quilt back but am not sure how it would go thru a long arm machine. Has anyone heard of this fabric? Ive attached a picture of the fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

Clothworld was a chain (like Joanns), I am not sure if they are still in business or maybe were bought out by Hancocks?

But that fabric looks like a home decor fabric to me, it may be all cotton or a blend. How wide is it?
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
    Clothworld was a chain (like Joanns), I am not sure if they are still in business or maybe were bought out by Hancocks?

But that fabric looks like a home decor fabric to me, it may be all cotton or a blend. How wide is it?
    We had a Clothworld in our area. I'm sure some of my fabric here is from that chain. Been gone probably over 20 years???
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    yes, it looks and sounds like home dec fabric to me. you could use it in a quilt if you wanted to.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Its 44" wide and its feels like cotten but its a little heavier feeling. Its really well made and very pretty fabric. I had never heard of Clothworld before! Thank you to all that commented! I guess I better ask my long arm lady and see if she wants to try it as a backing? Cant imagine what my sister was going to do with 8 yards of it. Sure isnt heavy enough for upholstery or drapes.
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

Google cloth world. I think there's still one on Ok

It is very pretty and would make a beautiful quilt. Please show us if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
    Does anyone know anything about a fabric maker called Clothworld? I have 8 yards of fabric left to me by my sister and its from Clothworld. The name on it is Lilacs1992 with cloth gard finish. It feels heavier than cotten but it doesnt say for sure what it is. I want to use it for a quilt back but am not sure how it would go thru a long arm machine. Has anyone heard of this fabric? Ive attached a picture of the fabric.
    clothworld was one of many of the fabric store chains bought out by joannes in the ninties. joannes was on a major expansion &, at that time, was a fabulous source for quilting calicos, designer fabrics from, beyer, miller etc. they also carried beautiful glazed cottons. the fabric you have is from the old clothworld fabric chain. it is a decorator fabric. i have used this type of fabric to machine piece & hand quilt commisioned quilts. if i can needle, albeit w difficulty, thru it by hand there should be no problem doing it on machine. depending on size of machine, you may want to go a bit slower than normal for machine quilting because of the denser fabric.

and the reason i made quilts with this stuff and then hand quilted it? because that is what the clients wanted. this glazed fabric is so beautiful. prints were absolutely gorgeous. joannes carried a line called "polished apple". i loved it, still have some stashed that i had intended for chair covers, cushions, aprons etc. my current home was decorated by a polished apple lover. every curtain and window seat cushion are all done in prints i remember from the line. it is no longer available. i have seen some glazed dec fabs in recent years but the glazing is much thinner now. the glazing in earlier times was a sort of egg wash finish to add body and luster and helped resist wear. it is washable but loses it's luster to some extent and fabric becomes softer tho still heavy because of increased thread count for home dec uses it was intended for.

i love the fabric you show here! i think it will be a fine backing. and as a backing, you certainly won't have the difficulty of the thick seams that i hand quilted thru using stab stitch! lol
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

It looks to me like it is a polished cotton. I made the cutest dresses for my girls from fabrics like this. Yes, they will make beautiful quilts. I haven't seen this fabric for a long time. It is very pretty.

Blog Entries
    I believe it was called Clothworld and then JoAnn's when they started adding crafty things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast