Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover bias tape maker >

Clover bias tape maker

Clover bias tape maker

Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 AM

Default Clover bias tape maker

Last weekend I purchased a Clover bias tape maker. Everybody just raved about how good it worked. But for the life of me, I can't get it to work correctly. I've watched the you-tube video, I've read and re-read the directions and it just doesn't come out perfect like it's supposed to. I bought the 1" maker. Not really sure what size to cut the fabric. Can anybody help me with this before I throw a genuine hissy fit? ~~Ann~~
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 AM

The maker folds the 2 raw edges to the middle - so you would cut your fabric 2", for the 1" maker. I find that slow and steady is the trick. I've only used smaller ones (1/4" bias tape), so I don't know if it's harder or easier to get the 1" to look good, but 2 things I figured out:

1. you need 3 hands I finally figured out to hold the maker in my left hand, the iron in my right. Then I place the iron on the fabric just as it comes out of the maker. Draw the maker back a couple of inches (or even less, on stubborn fabric), slide the iron forward, and repeat.

2. if you are applying the clover bias tape double-sided "tape" at the same time, it helps hold the folded edges down and in place
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM

I bought one a couple of years ago--can't remember what size. Never could get it to work right. The fabric wouldn't stay straight. I also bought the tape to stick it to the project. I never do anything 1/2 way. I ended up getting bias bars to complete the project--stems for flowers all over the quilt. It is in my collection of UFO's by the way. Someday I will try again to get the bias tape maker to work. I think starch will be my friend when I try again.
Sue
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

I have about 5 sizes because everyone I know raved about them, so I bought the "whole family." I've been able to make the 1/4 and 1/2 inch ones work somewhat on shorter runs of fabric, but mostly I find all the sizes troublesome. I've read and reread the directions, looked at the Utube videos, etc. but I still find the things hard to use.

It's much faster for me to just just make bias tape by hand and iron without the Clover bias tape maker.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM

I have two sizes and love them. Never had any trouble.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Well you learn something on here everyday!
I was thinking of buying one and now I am not!!!
Thanks. I guess I will just keep making my bias by hand.
Kirsten
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Wow. I haven't had any problems with them since I figured out the flat end needed to lie flat on the ironing table. (Yes, I actually held the thing upside down for awhile.)

One thing I do that I think makes a difference is I heavily starch the fabric before cutting the strips. This helps with loading the tape maker, but also helps with keeping the folds nice and crisp and even. It also helps keep the joining seams in the strips flat. (I join on the diagonal and press those seams open.)

The first few inches are never as good as the rest. What I do is allow about the width of my iron plus an inch or two for getting started. At that point I leave the iron resting on the ironing board. My right hand holds the tape maker and works in tandem with the left hand pulling the strip from under the iron. The tape maker is flat on the ironing board () and I just run the strip under the iron maybe 8 inches at a time.

Haven't seen the Youtube videos; I'll have to go watch them and see if they do it the same way.

Edit: Well, I found this Youtube video that is pretty close to what I do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...SRBnmKrcM&NR=1
I have done it that way too, pulling the tool as I iron. I noticed her strip is on the straight grain. If you are dealing with bias strips, I think starching first really helps keep the fabric from "wiggling" while you work. Also, I cut a point on the beginning of the strip before threading through the tool; at least on the smaller sizes, this helps me a lot to get the strip started.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM

I'm with Prism99. I do use Best Press or starch on the fabric first. I've had no problems but agree that first little bit isn't as nice as what I would want ... but that is such a short piece it doesn't bother me. I am usually using bias only as I use these tools for making vines and such.

Maybe your LQS would help you with using these tools. You might have bought them there[?].
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM

I don't use that upright guide thing. I just roll the fabric on the spool and guide it myself. I use the Simplicity if I don't feel like burning my fingers with the traditional bias makers.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 PM

I cut a point on the beginning.I also stick a long pin on my left flat on the ironing board leaving a space the width of the folded tape in between the 2 points the pin is fastened and slide and pull the folded tape through this space under the pin as I iron. The pin is my "third hand". I move the tape maker just a few inches at a time and press and pull through and under the pin as I go.