Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
clover chalk marker won't disappear >

clover chalk marker won't disappear

clover chalk marker won't disappear

Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Default clover chalk marker won't disappear

I used this to mark quilting lines on a table runner:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd29309

I used a blue one and the lines are still there! I've put it in the washer on rinse - still there. Soaked in the sink with OxyClean - still there. Now what?

It's in the thread on the quilt line, but also on the fabric where I sewed away from the line I'd marked.

This is my mother's Christmas present! Help! Help! Help!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Okay - I googled "chalk quilt marker that won't disappear" - or something like that and got a suggestion of vinegar. Nope.
So far - rinsed in washer, soaked in OxyClean, rubbed gently with vinegar, sprayed with Clorox's version of Spray and Wash - for colors, washed gently in machine with Arm & Hammer's detergent with OxyClean. The quilt lines where I did NOT sew - changed my mind - are gone, but the ones where I did sew the thread is now blue. Faintly blue, but blue - on my pink fabric. Guess it's going to stay that way. It's a table runner, not a quilt - so not quite so much time/money invested, but ... I certainly won't be using blue chalk again - unless it's on blue fabric - and then I won't be able to see it so ... what's the point?

It's a bit more obvious in person than in this photo - but it will be okay. The runner is still wet from the washer so it's more wrinkly than it will be.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01913.jpg   dsc01914.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 AM

Now that is an interesting lesson. While I do test my marking method on a scrap of my fabric before I start I would never have thought about testing it on the thread too !

I'm sorry for your frustration, it is a lovely table runner.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

did you by chance press the item after marking it? heat setting can cause the chalk color to (set)
anyway- the one i had the same problem with (pink chalk) came out when i finally simply washed the item- not soaking it- not rubbing it- but i put it into the washer with other items- and washed it-with detergent and a normal cycle- checked it when it came out and sure enough it was all gone.
then i dried it.
you can contact Clover- their web site has tips on removing the chalk-they offer help- and if you don't find help you can call customer service and they will talk to you (although today being cyber monday it may be hard to get through on the phone. i recommend visiting the web site. and for future projects- be sure to not set the chalk, mark as lightly as possible and still be seen, and wash the item when finished-sometimes i'm afraid people set there markings when they are trying so hard to remove them- but don't just wash them out. i have a friend who has had good luck using Magic Eraser's to remove markings. good luck
Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 AM

A friend of mine swears by a product called Sew Clean. She got it at our LQS, maybe you could google it.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 AM

I use pure soap and don't have any trouble.

Last edited by katesnanna; 11-28-2011 at 05:06 AM. Reason: misspelt word
Old 11-28-2011, 05:34 AM

When I went to the website using the link you provided, I clicked on the reviews for this product. Several of the reviews made the comment that the white came out easily, but that the colors did not come out so easily. Yellow was mentioned more than once. If possible, it's good to check these reviews. Sorry about your runner. I know your mom will love it regardless. How could she not love it - her daughter made it for her - and it is very pretty!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 AM

I feel for you! I spent weeks trying to remove pencil marks from a quilt, and the best suggestion I got was to use a product from the dollar store called "Amazing Cleaner". That did the trick.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 AM

I had problems with the yellow Chaco liner. I emailed them and they suggested 5parts water with 1 part vinegar; dab on with soft cloth; then rinse with cool water. This worked with the yellow; may work with the bllue. Good luck-that is so frustrating after all the hard work you put into this project--it's lovely BTW.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Since it is "only" a tablerunner, and not so huge, maybe a soft toothbrush on those threads with some oxyclean on it?? No experience, just a suggestion.