Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: clover chalk markers

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I have used the clover chalk markers many times...But I machine embroidered a dozen napkins and had problems...You have to place a mark for the center of the designs to stitch...I have tried all sorts of stain removers, but the marks won't come off...It was a set of polyester napkins...They were to be a gift, But I had to keep them and make another set...I used a blue water soluable marker for the second set...
    Have any of you had any problems with markers....I have even used the chalk marker to mark quilts and never had a problem...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p38flygirl
    I have used the clover chalk markers many times...But I machine embroidered a dozen napkins and had problems...You have to place a mark for the center of the designs to stitch...I have tried all sorts of stain removers, but the marks won't come off...It was a set of polyester napkins...They were to be a gift, But I had to keep them and make another set...I used a blue water soluable marker for the second set...
    Have any of you had any problems with markers....I have even used the chalk marker to mark quilts and never had a problem...
    Yes, I did a quilt where I used the clover markers and the marks didn't come out, even after washing. Now I only use them where the marks won't be seen. I use the purple ones that disappear after a few hours.

Blog Entries
    So how do you all think the new mechanical chalk pencils will work on cotton fabrics? I'm marking my DH's double wedding ring as I go along with pink lead so I can see it to quilt along. I haven't actually tried washing it out but had taken a damp cloth to see if it brushes off & I could still see a trace of it??????

My SIL used a mechanical chalk pencil with the orange lead and it didn't wash out. Luckily it was on a Harley quilt so the orange didn't look horrible, but she was so disappointed. After her experience I have been afraid to use anything.

Blog Entries
    Ordinary blackboard chalk works, but widens easily.

I have even spilled some of the clover chalk on my quilt top, and had no problem getting it off. Maybe all the starch I use created a barrier of sorts.

Blog Entries
    Fons and Porter has a line of the mechanical pencils like Sewline. I am totally in love with them! Creates a fine line, remains where you put it for a remarkably long time but washes out easily!

Here's a tip: I just ordered the refills (they are 9 mm), bought a set of three mechanical pencils at Wal-Mart for less than $5 and use the chalk refills in the cheapo pencils rather than paying $15 for one of the name brand pencils.

Blog Entries
    I bought a yellow clover chacoliner and tested it and I couldn't get the marks out. So it sits, unused, and I just use my old white one (which always comes out even before I get the chance to actually use the marks).

Blog Entries
    Darn I bought Some but hadn't used them. Too late tosend back!!

no matter what you are using to mark your quilts, no matter how many times in the past you have used the same tool...you should ALWAYS test on EVERY new project before marking...i use chalk alot, sometimes pencil...but i always check to make sure it is going to come out...and always remember to NOT PRESS after marking...sometimes that will set what ever you are using so it will never come out....always test first...save yourself frustration later.

Blog Entries
    what an awful predicament. thanks for the warning. i'll be sure to test all markers before proceeding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast