Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Clover Mini-Iron? Worth the money?

  1. #11
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    I recently bought a Hobbico Craft Iron at Hershey Quilt Expo, but I haven't used it yet. Can anyone tell me if this will replace a Clover iron, or if there is a need for both?

  2. #12
    Leslee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    358
    Minda, does the one you found look like the little Clover one? The metal tube on the Clover iron unscrews and you can get attachments for it, like a stencil cutter. That's what I like about it. It doesn't replace a big iron, but it is great for applying heat to small spaces, ironing seams open and using fusible tape.

  3. #13
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    Leslee,
    You can see a picture of the Hobbico iron on the following site. It's a bit larger than the Clover but smaller than other craft irons.

    http://softexpressions.com/software/notions/iron.htm


  4. #14
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    Patti,
    Were are the Clover irons on sale for about $13.00?

  5. #15
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,728
    Patty,
    I have a mini-iron and love to use it. It's great for paper piecing.

    Word of caution... Don't allow a piece of fabric to lay on it while it's hot! Yep! Been there! Done that! I had tossed a chunk of fabric and didn't notice where it landed until I started smelling the scorch! Yuck! Now my fabric will have to have a hole cut in it to remove that nasty spot! It just proves that little thing gets hot!

    On a side note. I invested in one of Eleanor Burns wood irons. It actually does make a difference when it's used. Amazing!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Patti,
    Were are the Clover irons on sale for about $13.00?
    jo-anns. $24.99 - $10 - 10% through tomorrow. if you need a printable coupon, let me know.

    :D

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    Patty,
    I have a mini-iron and love to use it. It's great for paper piecing.

    Word of caution... Don't allow a piece of fabric to lay on it while it's hot! Yep! Been there! Done that! I had tossed a chunk of fabric and didn't notice where it landed until I started smelling the scorch! Yuck! Now my fabric will have to have a hole cut in it to remove that nasty spot! It just proves that little thing gets hot!

    On a side note. I invested in one of Eleanor Burns wood irons. It actually does make a difference when it's used. Amazing!
    yep, that's what i fear the most. getting burned! i'll have to look into the wood iron. brb!

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    616
    hmmm, here's the wood iron

    http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...0&cat=&page=17

    do they really work without heat? :shock:

  9. #19
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    Thanks, Patty. (Sorry I misspelled your name on my last post.)

  10. #20
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricluvr
    hmmm, here's the wood iron

    http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...0&cat=&page=17

    do they really work without heat? :shock:
    It's just a wooden dowel with a rounded head. It just pushes the fabric where you want it to go. It's not as good as an iron with heat but it does make the fabric lie where you want it long enough to move along to the next step in the quilting process. AND as we all know, Eleanor loves her wooden iron! :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.