Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Coated fabric

Hi all,

I am looking for a kind of fabric that is, I think, cotton with a clear coating to make it more durable as well as wipeable. When I google coated fabric, all I find is industrial stuff, or outdoor fabrics. Also, I remember someone telling me about a clear coating that you can put on whatever fabric yourself. What is that product called, and has anyone worked with it? Is it really worth it, or will it start coming off after a while? I would like to make purses etc. using this.

Thanks!

I think what you're talking about is laminated fabric, other than that I don't know anything about it.

Blog Entries
    Kaffe Fassette has some really pretty lam. fabrics. I thought about making myself a raincoat in the spring.

Oh, no wonder I didn't find what I was looking for. Laminated cotton. Now, does anybody know whether there is a laminate that you can apply to any fabric you want, so you wouldn't depend on the selection of laminated fabrics available?

Banned
    I think you are talking about scotchguard in the spray can. It is a stain repellant and it also helps with windproofing jackets and such

Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin
    I think you are talking about scotchguard in the spray can. It is a stain repellant and it also helps with windproofing jackets and such
    Thanks, that would be an idea. But I really seem to remember having heard about something in sheet form that you put on top of your fabrics. Anybody know what I mean?

I think I just found it on Joann's website, it's a vinyl to iron on. That's what I meant. And it's half off right now, so I'll get some to try it out. Thanks!

I've used the iron-on vinyl and it worked well. I used it on a wall hanging for protection, but it sewed well and looks nice. The drawback is that it's not very wide.

Many quilt stores now sell some of the laminated fabrics.

If your finished item can be kept away from heat, you can cover the fabric before use with a bonding material (like Wonder-Under).
    I have used such material for the bottoms of tote bags.