Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Coats & Clark Outdoor Thread...for hand quilting

Coats & Clark Outdoor Thread...for hand quilting

I picked up a spool at Wal-Mart because they were out of the color of 'Button' thread that I've found I like for hand quilting. I'm kinda liking this Outdoor thread. It's 100% polyester, and not quite as thick as 'Button' thread.

Has anyone else used it for hand quilting? Any opinions?
    Every day, I find it harder to live up to my blue china.

I've never even heard of it but like the idea! Sounds like the perfect thread, for all sorts of crafts!

You use button thread for hand quilting? Hmmmm.... that's interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has used pearl cotton. I'm getting ready to hand quilt a grandmother's flower garden quilt and am wondering which thread would be the best. Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies.

I think this 'outdoor' thread is very much like the old invisible thread, only colored. Maybe a little thicker, but not much.

I've had such an insanely terrible time finding hand quilting thread I like that doesn't tangle. Or doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I liked the button thread, but it's so thick that you need a bigger needle eye that is hard to push/pull through seams. I liked it a lot 'til I tried Outdoor thread.

I'm so sorry...I thought I posted a link in my original post. This is JoAnn's...I haven't price checked to see if what I got at Wal-Mart is cheaper.

http://www.joann.com/coats-clark-out...745#pro_colors

Hmmm, I can't quite picture using such a heavy thread to hand quilt with. You must be doing something called "the big stitch" for your handquilting. If it works for you go for it!

I suppose my stitches are bigger than those of the experts, but my interest is more in the visual of the whole quilt rather than seeing how much thread I can get on one. I do mostly theme-type quilts, like these: