Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coats Thread??? >

Coats Thread???

Coats Thread???

Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 PM
IQ2

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I found an interesting site http://www.coatsandclark200years.com/timeline.html. It appears that the parent company is Coats and Coats and Clark is a line of their products.
...and here's a page that gives a description of all of Coats' thread, one of which is
Coats and Clark described as an all purpose polyester thread. http://www.makeitcoats.com/en-us/exp...dir__sewing%7D
Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 PM

Both my machines Janome and Babylock act up when I used C&C. I prefer Guterman as an essy to find thread.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

I love C & C thread, myself. And I consider it one of the higher quality threads.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:53 AM

Some time ago I e-mailed C&C and asked why we can't find the cotton wrapped polyester thread anymore. Every spool I pick up is 100% polyester. Reply was to be more specific. I asked again in reply to their reply. Never heard back from them. I don't purchase their product anymore because I don't like straight poly thread. I'm still using the supply I have for quilting and sewing. That's my experience with them.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I have loads of C&C thread and both my machines like it. I am determined to use it all up. I have CT also I won't buy anymore until I use this up. I service my own machines and keep them clean.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 AM

I have a brother 2500D embroidery/sewing and cannot use the C&C embroidery thread dose not thread well through the tensions you can hear a crunchy sound when pulling it through.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The C&C thread cost more per yard then the higher quality thread. You get less on the C&C spool so that makes the price of the spool seem cheaper.
This is what I discovered too. I did a pennies-per-yard calculation on several brands of thread about a year ago and found that C&C costs about the same as Aurifil!!

People say it's terrible thread but I find it's just fine in all of my machines. It's more linty than Aurifil, but not any lintier than Connecting Threads. I don't buy it anymore just because it's not a good deal - I stocked up on CT thread for when I need colors to show, and use a giant cone of beige Presencia for piecing. I also got tired of using 2-3 spools of thread per quilt.

Funny, when I bought my Janome 6600 I was told that C&C is terrible and I should only use Robison-Anton thread. The machine came with a box full of cones of RA thread, including three jumbo cones. Problem is...the thread is not very good!! I've found knots in three different cones! When I look real close...it looks no better than C&C and sheds just as much lint if not more. I use that thread for "utility" sewing and am slooowly using it up. My machine is not a thread diva at all, I could probably pull strings out of my jeans and it'd sew with them...but knots in the thread is something NO machine can handle!

So I would say - take your dealer's thread recommendations with a grain of salt. Sometimes they really know what they're talking about, other times they're either just parroting what THEIR sales rep told them or trying to move product that they sell.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Point well taken..Do your own experiment, don't take someone else's opinion on threads or machines. They are all different with their own peculiarities and properties. Use what works for you.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I've used C&C for years and no problems. Had some breakage the other day but my fault for having the needle in backwards and I had my thread twisted. corrected everything then walked out of the room and shut the door for a better day.
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I really like the C&C Star mercerized cotton thread (3 ply, 50 wt). I think they're readily available, not linty, well priced in a decent size, don't break or shred and both my Bernina and Viking like them just fine. I've had no problems with their 30 wt cotton machine quilting thread either. Both are from Egypt.

ETA: Some of the spools say Coats on one end and Coats & Clark on the other. Could be the case for the ones your DH got, too.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:50 AM

I have been using Coats & Clark for many many quilts with no issues. Took my 1996 Viking Rose in for service last year and he found no problems other than I wore down the screw that the Walking Foot arm attaches to. Of course, I don't know about the quality of the Coats & Clark thread sold now. All my thread is from the 90's. I don't think the quality of anything is as good as it used to be.