Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Coats Thread??? >
  • Coats Thread???

• Coats Thread???

Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 AM

The C&C did not work well with my Pfaff. Only needed to use the part of one spool to see it was not going to work. Love Aurifil!
    Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

I find that my machines do not like C & C. I prefer to use Signature, Aurifil, and CT.
    Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM

I have used C&C all the years I have been sewing and never had a problem until the last couple of years. I have bought some large spools that have had the thread broken right in the middle of the spool and tied together with a big knot. Lucky I found it before it got to the needle and was able to stop before any damage was done.
    Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

Interesting...Let us know what you find out....
    Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM
    Power Poster

All of my machines run fine on Coats & Clark. I have a spool near me now that is about a year old I think. It says Coats on the side that says mercerized cotton and also says USA. The other side says Coats & Clark and the dye lot info. I agree that we all need to use what works best on our machines. I try to avoid blanket statements like "it is no good" - might be no good for some of us but it works fine for some of us too. Just my opinion.
    Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 PM

I had always used C&C until a few years ago. I had done an outdoor craft show----and it rained something terrible. The table toppers that I had done got wet---and I didn't know it until later. The ones that I top stitched with black thread bled!! I pre-wash my fabric---and realized it was the thread that bled!! I won't buy it anymore.
    Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2
    ...and here's a page that gives a description of all of Coats' thread, one of which is
    Coats and Clark described as an all purpose polyester thread. http://www.makeitcoats.com/en-us/exp...dir__sewing%7D
    Thanks for providing these links. I enjoyed every minute of the reading. like Coats and Clark and my machines, a Janome, a Kenmore from the late '50s, a Singer from the late 30's or early 40's and serger from the 80's all get along with it fine. Whatever works for you is good. froggyintexas
    Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    C&C is okay just not as high quality as some of the other brands. I find it shreds and breaks a lot when I use it in my newer machines.
    I have never had problems with C and C thread and I have been using it for many years. I also have friends that use it all the time and have no problems. I know on my new electronic machine that I can always use C and C and the stitches are great and the thread is strong. I just don't get how the C and C some people use is so awful and I have never had a problem. I do use other top quality threads for different colors and reasons Aurofil, Gutterman, etc.
    Old 07-01-2015, 05:52 PM

A lot of times the dealers are selling thread as well so have their bias'.
    Old 07-01-2015, 06:04 PM

Except for my embroidery machine ( on which l use machine embroidery thread), l can use any thread l like on my computorizedJanomie 6500, my blind hemmer, my Bailey 15, and my daughter's little computorized Brother 6000i, and my old White Jeans machine. I've learned to set the tensions, and use the appropriate needles. I think that those who have machines with automatic tension control probably find them the most finicky .