Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting free quilt patterns

Blog Entries
    Yes, love the free patterns online. I keep mine in binders with clear sleeve protectors so I don't tear them up thumbing through them over and over again. I know I won't be able to make all the quilts, but I like having so many options for my materials. I sit and dream too. I buy a few patterns, books and quilting magazines also, so building a sewing library to pass on to my daughter. I got a lot of patterns as a beginner that are anything but beginner level. Seriously! Why do they label these patterns as "easy"? I downloaded one that said, "Kids can quilt too!" It was very cute with kitties on it, but no kid I have ever met under the age of 16 could handle it. I found another one advertising for beginners who "should not be afraid to tackle a full size quilt". It was full of one inch strips and would be very unforgiving to beginners' seam allowances.
    Last edited by Sarint; 03-15-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    I know what I thought I was making when I started this quilt, but it has changed several times since then.

My sister calls this PAS (pattern acquisition syndrome). A lot of us suffer or enjoy this syndrome. Some people collect stamps, we collect patterns (fabric, machines. . . . ) and we can DO something with them. I say enjoy, one of those will be the inspiration for your masterpiece. And if you don't get when you see it, you probably won't be able to find it again.

I used to print out the free patterns but after three big 3" binders and several ink cartridges I quit. Now I just save them on my computer and only print one out when I am ready to use it. I have hundreds saved, maybe even thousands.

Blog Entries
    I get letters in the mail from quilt magazines with offers of new subscriptions. In side is most always a free pattern and directions on glossy paper. The last one I got in the mail also had an extra page showing how to do a blanket stitch. I have gotten many free quilt patterns this way. I seldom subscibe to magazines and maybe they keep hoping they will tempt me enough.
    Sherri

Oh my I collect those free quilt patterns too. Some I've printed out but most I have on my computer...I still drool over some of the pictures.

I was just talking to DH about this today. Every patter I save is the next one I must make. Of course, by the time I'm ready for a new pattern I've saved many more "must makes".
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    I collect lots and lots of patterns too. For a time I said that I would stop collecting because I would never in my lifetime make all those quilts but then I figured out that styles change, my tastes have changed, techniques change--what was once done with paper templates can now be done with rulers, etc. Now there are "modern quilts".... I guess I'm destined to collect patterns until I die
    Bernie

I also collect them. I have them saved to a file on my computer then every few months I save them to either a jump drive or to a cd. When I want to make a quilt then I will print it out and add it to my binder.
    Charlene in Maine

Nothing a bit wrong with collecting patterns, especially free ones. Maybe one day you'll make them and maybe you won't. Actually no different than collecting recipes, which I love to do too.

I totally relate to you Luv Quilts and Cats----I collect all kinds of patterns and have binders full of quilting, cross stitch, and did have crocheting, but my mistake went to a second hand store. Hope someone else is enjoying the patterns. Yes I have the notion that "Some day" I will get time to make some of these, but until then I will dream a whole lot.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast