Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color catchers how many times? >

Color catchers how many times?

Color catchers how many times?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 PM

Default Color catchers how many times?

I have some dark teal print and have washed it 3 times with 2 color catchers and each time the color catchers come out teal - have any of you had this problem? Of one of the fabrics has a light background so I'm afraid the color will run. Any ideas out there?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM

Yep. I have some dark red that took five washings with 3 color catchers each time before they came out the palest of pink. The quilt came out fine with no running, but I wouldn't trust anything still washing color.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Me either. I bought a new batik shirt with elephants hand drawn to cut up for a baby quilt - first wash (without catchers) colour ran terribly, two more washes and a hot iron, made quilt (with lots of white added). Washed finished quilt with 2 catchers....not a skerrick of dye run. If it's still running....I'd be wary.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:01 PM

My record has been 4 times with 2 color catchers each time!!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:07 AM

I have a table runner with both red and black in it, made a couple of years ago, and my color catchers are still coming out a red/black tint.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 AM

I had a green fabric from JoAnns years ago that I used for a backing. Prewashed it w/no color catchers. Washed the quilt upon completion. That green ran like crazy. Used color catchers and re-washed countless times. That fabric still ran. I finally just gifted it along with a box of color catchers and told the recipients to NEVER wash that thing without them!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 AM

When I wanted to set the color in Kansas Troubles, I soaked each color in a solution of white vinegar, salt and Dawn with water. I then, only washed it once w a color catcher. I don't know if the fabric will still bleed, hope I never have to wash the quilt. lol
Old 04-27-2015, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Now I soak everything for at least an hour in hot water to see what will happen. I only put like colors together, so in case one piece has bad manners, the other pieces won't be damaged (much).

In the case of fabrics, I would much rather put some extra effort in preparation (and avoidance of using bleeders) than to agonize about if/will the finished item bleed - and if it does, what to do about it. Been there. Done that. I did not enjoy it.

If it's a bleeder, and I still have the receipt, I will try to return it. I will go up the management ladder if I feel I have a good case. I consider it defective, unless the end label as warned me that it may bleed.

If I no longer have a receipt, and it's a bad bleeder, it gets discarded. I will not pass that problem on to someone else.

I have even had LQS brands of fabrics bleed - so that line of "only poor quality or big box fabrics will bleed" is - in my opinion - misinformation. (A Moda red, a Hoffman print with red flowers, and a black Michael Miller come to mind)

I also have the opinion that many recipients will not give the item "special handling" - so I want it to be as "maintenance easy" as possible.

The only thing I do have fits about is the use of bleach. NO! NO! NO!

I don't enjoy doing laundry. Special care items frequently end up at the bottom of the basket. Over and over.

But do what one must to salvage/save/maintain the item.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:21 AM

If it's still running, I put a little blue Dawn in it. It has something similar to synthropol. (or the one that starts with r). I have washed a red batik 4 times using new color catchers each time. Slowly they get lighter pink.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I found that Purex No Sort laundry detergent works great. The whole wash water has the color grabber in it.