Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Color combo; What do you think? (pics NOT resized)

Blog Entries

Color combo; What do you think? (pics NOT resized)

I LOVE this combo, but wanted opinions. Its already all cut into squares... still no clue what layout I want to use..... (Im not real adventurous yet with shapes and pieces... I stick to squares. lol) Anyways... I THINK this may be for my oldest daughter (8 1/2) but havent settled on that yet, either... Her taste changes as often as the sun comes up. Without further ado:

Left to right (sorry, the picture is not true to color, but pretty close)
    Grapefruit pink with lighter pink swirls, light pink with white floral print, gray with light pink cherry blossoms, white with coral and orange cherry blossoms, pink and orange mix, light gray, yellow with pale yellow flower print, orange satin, dark gray flannel, coral flannel, light gray flannel and orange flannel

Yes? No?
    Name:  orangepinkgrey.jpg
Views: 3463
Size:  309.9 KB
    Last edited by StaceySewsSorta; 09-24-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: forgot a color!

Blog Entries
    I love the colors! The only one that screams at me is the yellow but I like bright yellow in my quilts. I love the corals and pinks and greys and. . . Oh, I just love them all!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I would audition it with one more yellow. It needs the pop of the yellow but it might look a little lonely. However, you could venture out of your comfort zone and try a disappearing nine patch always using yellow as the center square.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I would omit the swirl pink and the solid pink and all the grays. The fabrics are all very pretty.
    Got fabric?

Jim
    I think I would add a touch of black...it would go with everything plus pop with the bright yellow
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Power Poster
    If you are planning on making this into something for a youngster, make sure that all the components are equally washable.

I just noticed that you have already cut the fabrics into squares - did you wash your fabrics first? You've mentioned cotton, satin, and flannel - which would be interesting texture-wise - just not so sure how well they will play together in the wash.

It appears to me that you are using the third and fourth fabrics from the left for your color palette - I think the yellow you have is too bright - I would like a yellow that is more orangey than that one.

Blog Entries
    You seem to have a variety of fabric types mixed in there, cotton, satin and flannel. I am not sure that they will all play nicely together in a quilt. Satin will not press well, nor will it give you a nice 1/4" seam if paired with bulky flannel, the turn of cloth for each is very different.

I would try a few seams and see how it works.

I am not a pinks and greys person. You have one other print with each colour except the yellow. Do you have another print with some yellow in it and one of the other colours? I made an Around the World quilt 20+ years ago with one colour that really popped. I have always thought it looked a bit off.

I love them all. The quilt will be fantastic. Bonnie Hunter and Marilyn Weibe would use all of them - their quilts are always beautiful.

Blog Entries
    i love them all, but i agree that the yellow looks lonely
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I love the pinks! But I'd stick with just cottons, and find a few more to add, including a yellow or two.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast