Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color questions >

Color questions

Color questions

Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM

I think it's best not to think in terms of matching, because that can get boring. Think in terms of harmonizing. I think the only thing that really matters is -- do you like the way those fabrics look together.

I like the fact that your two prints vary in scale (that is, the butterflies are large and the squares are small); I've found that's very important for a pleasing look. Also, the butterflies are free form and curvy while the squares are regular. Contrast like that is nice. While I agree with Bree that the green and pink in the little squares print are quite different from the greens and pink in the other fabrics, I kind of like them together.

I would suggest you experiment a bit -- just throw some other fabrics on top of those and you might find some combinations you like even better. But I think these would make a nice pillow.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 PM

I like what you have if you want a soft look. I suggest you put your fabrics across the room and take a look at them. Are they pleasing to your eye or do the lack contrast? It's all a personal preference. That is what makes it yours
Old 10-12-2016, 04:37 PM

Are you wanting to surprise your mom or let her in on choosing fabrics? She might like the soft palette you've chosen. I think the raspberry boxes give it enough contrast if the whole pillow is to look muted in tone. I would use those together for my own mom (except switch pink out for lavender because of her preference for lavender).

However, if you're wanting to do a pillow that really lets your design take center stage, then I'd suggest, like others, to pull some higher contrast fabrics in (raspberry), or lower contrast, such as an ivory tone-on-tone . I really think the number one consideration is your mom's preferences. If she likes the fabrics, she'll love what you do with them, I'm sure.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:43 PM

Looks quite in the eye, but I think the purple does not match with pink
Old 10-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
They look fine together. As others have mentioned, all three are light in tone. If you want a soft, neutral finished product, they will be fine! If however you want a finished pillow with more "pop" or "zing", look to add one or two darker fabrics such as a deep raspberry pink, dark sage green, or look to some contrasting colors like dark purple or even black that always adds a dramatic touch.
These fabrics do look great together and will give you a beautiful soft shabby chic look, perfect. And if you do want more wow......
Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 AM

Very good opinions here. If you want it to be muted, stay with what you've got. If you want it to pop, get a couple of yards of that darkest magenta in the one on the lower right. Use that for borders and sashing. Take what I say with a couple of grains of salt, it's just my opinion too. Marcia
Old 10-13-2016, 05:47 AM

I think you nailed it. Don't forget to show us your finished pillow.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

My opinion - - - -

I like the soft look of the butterfly print with the light green solid.

I do not care for the "boxy" type third print I see in the picture with the other two fabrics because it seems "harsh" to me with those two fabrics.

Low contrast - with the first two fabrics I mentioned - can be restful and elegant.

But it is up to you, the maker, about what you like (and/or your Mom) - and what you have available.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:54 PM

I like the fabrics but then I don't know what colors your mom has in her bedroom but I would love it.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:14 PM

*** Yes, they look GREAT together.