Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Selection >

Color Selection

Color Selection

Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM

I am thinking about the colors for my 3rd quilt. The first isn't quite finished, the second is just started and the third is being planned in my head as a Christmas gift. I am trying to visualize the bedroom with the completed quilt as a decorative whole, color coordinated with wall color, drapes, carpet, paintings, etc., exactly as I would when buying a commercial comforter or bedspread - nothing that clashes, etc. A quilt that is totally made for that one room.
Is this how everyone does it? If not, then how do you know that the quilt will fit into the decor?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Sometimes the quilt comes first and the accent pieces afterward. Sometimes you can make the quilt with calm colors, which should blend in with all kinds of decorations.

But sometimes I see a pattern and just HAVE to make it even if nothing in my house matches it. For example, I saw a flamingo wall hanging. I have nothing flamingo-like in my house, but just HAD to make it. It proudly hangs on my sewing room wall and doesn't match a thing!

Not much help, am I? :lol:
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM

I have neutral walls just so I can swap out my quilts at any time. Some of the ones I have finished are really out there but I am getting better.... more "normal" I guess.

I normally start with just one fabric that I love and take it from there. Sometimes the fabric is too nice to cut in small pieces so then it determines the pattern that I make. I think its all a personal preference though.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

A quilt that is totally made for that one room.
-------------------
Yes, that is what I have in mind for my bedroom. Thank you for verbalizing what I think.
I've been putting away small (up to 6 inches) pieces of blue colors and small patterns for a long time. I want my queen sized bed to be covered with a crazy quilt that goes down to the floor, and comes up to fold over the pillows. And it's all blue hues, carpeting, drapes, walls, all plain except the crazy quilt on the bed. And two big mirrors. Very plain, except for the explosion of colors in the wall to wall, ceiling to floor book case on one side of the room.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 AM

I make quilts for me with colors that I like. I painted my bed room walls ivory and have a ivory bedspread thatI use for a base since I make my quilts about 65 x 70 and use them as a coverlette. I have found that it is easier to match paint to fabric than fabric to paint. Choose colors and pattern for quilt that you like and go from there. I sometimes get overwhelm when I try to pick out entire room so take one step at time. Projects like these are like completing quilt. One must wait to see how center of quilt looks befor choosing border, binding and backing. Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!