Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Color

I have the hardest time choosing colors for my quilts. I took a class on colors and that did help, but when I go to the fabric store, it can take me an hour just to pick about 3 or 4 colors that go together. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Follow your heart. Pick colors you like and find either fabrics that match or contrast. The main thing is that you are happy with it. Just follow your instinct. One hour is not long to pick the colors you will be looking at every time you see this quilt.

Thanks, I will go with it...

I once spent over 4 hours in our LQS trying to figure out the colors/fabrics for a twin bed quilt pattern. I have a hard time with it, too.

so, how do you do it now? Or are you still strugging. :?:

At least now, I know I am not alone.... :-D

I think it helps to pick out a print that you really like, and use the colors from that to design your quilt. You might not even use the original print, but you've taken the color pallette from it. (I learned this from someone else on this Board, so thought I would pass it on.)

it's a struggle every time.Visualizing what the colors and fabric patterns will look like together is hard. I've gone so far as to just get a small sample and scan the fabric into my scanner, take it into my graphic design software, and "build" the quilt on my computer, so I can get a sense if it'll look alright.

I have the quilt Wizard program it was like $30.00 It has limited fabric choices but I can usually put something together that is a close match. I then can go shopping for fabric. It is so much fun to see your picture emerge into a quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Now, this is true... I learned that in my color class, that does help.... but some times I get a little thrown off when I want to use just solid colors.... this is when I have a problem... :-(

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast