Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: color of thread to use on quilt top

Blog Entries

color of thread to use on quilt top

i am quilting a double wedding ring and i used brown for the center and mellons my question for you quilters out there is what color thread would be best to use on these places i am doing a feathered wreath in the center and a long feather in the mellons i want it to show because of all the work that i will put into it but dont want it to take over the quilt any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would use the same shade of brown

Are you hand quilting or machine quilting?

If hand I would use a contrasting light thread.

If machine, I would use a thread that blended with the brown but use a batting that will poof up to show the quilting which would be a polyester or wool.

I would use the color that blends in with the brown.

I would use a varigated thread in light colors. The varigation gives the quilting a feeling of depth. Pick a varigated that the color changes are random and not even lenght of color change.
    If varigated is just not appealling maybe pick a light natural/ off white color, it will show up nicely against the brown fabric.

How about making a trial sandwich of the fabrics used and do some stitching to see what colors will appeal to you?
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

You could take the quilt top to your LQS and lay different threads across the browns and peaches. It might look better with a color that blends well, like a greenish beige or taupe. I miss being able to do this after our LQS closed.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    thanks for all the ideas will try them before i start the quilting in the brown i did a double irish chain last year and did alot of feathers on a gold background and did them in gold and all that quilting doesnt show up unless you are right on top of it did not want that to happen again if i am putting that much work into it i want it to show.