Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color of thread to use >

Color of thread to use

Color of thread to use

Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Color of thread to use

Is there a general rule of thumb for the color of thread When quilting on the quilt top? do you use darker or lighter color then the fabric. Or is it your own preference ? I usually end up matching so close it's hard to see where I have quilted and end up crossing stitches then I have to rip. Trying to avoid this. Thank you all in advance for your input.
God Bless all
loretta
Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

It depends on the quilt. If intricately pieced and I don't want to detract from that, I will use thread that will blend into the background. If I have blank areas that I want the quilting to show, I use a high contrast thread. If I am going to do a feathered wreath, I want it to show!
Of course I have only started using higher contrast threads as my machine quilting has improved.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

My preference is to always let the piecing of the quilt be the star of the show so I use threads that match the background and threads that match the pieced fabrics. Best is to use a shade darker. I don't really care for quilts that are over quilted because the quilting starts to detract from the piecing of the quilt. I have always admired hand quilting and that is what I strive to achieve with my machine quilting.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

each quilt is it's own -- the thread is the one I think is best for that project- sometimes it matches- sometimes a nice variegated works well, sometimes it contrasts---there is no 'rule of thumb' use what you want, like, think will look nice on your quilt.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I'm concerned that you said that you crossed stitches and had to rip. I think it's fine to cross over your stitches!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:15 PM

I'm still learning FMQ, so I want my thread to match the fabric. Someday, I hope to do quilting I want people to see!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:56 PM

I agree Dunster, I don't know who started that, not to cross lines when free motion quilting.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I like for my stitching to show, so I usually put a nice ecru, or eggshell color. I have some other colors in case I should make a quilt in lighter colors, but I have a tendency to gravitate to the deeper richer colors of fabric.