Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Colorfast Printer Ink Available?

I want to make a label for the "Memory Quilt" I'm making, on my computer. I printed a sample text on muslin, heat set it, then washed it....boo hoo... it was not colorfast. Do they make colorfast ink for printers?
    I have a Dell Photo 924

"Fond Family Memories" Quilt Top w/out Borders Yet
    Name:  Attachment-81319.jpe
Views: 846
Size:  97.5 KB

Most printer ink is water based ink.

I LOVE your memory quilt! It's absolutely gorgeous!!!

You can treat your fabric with bubble jet set to make the ink permanent or buy fabric sheets already treated at Joanns.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love your memory quilt! I was wondering, however, what printer you used to print your photos. If you used the same printer and same fabric you used on the label......... :cry: If that is the case, simply tell the recipient (and put on the label) not to wash the quilt. ;-)

Blog Entries
    First your fabric needs to be washed, rinsed without any rinse and dried without any dryer sheets :wink: You want it free from anything that can prevent the ink from penetrating completely.

Then using bubble jet before printing on the fabric, it helps the ink penetrate and set... also using something like Retayne afterwards will help make the ink more permanent too :D:D:D

Not really. I buy the sheets with coupons from JoAnns. Other wise you need to buy bubble jet. With coupons the sheets are pretty reasonable and probably more reliable.

how did you print your pictures?

My printer is a Dell Photo 924. One thought was to attach the label by "buttons" so it could be removed if need be.

Another family member printed the pictures using transfer paper that she got at an office supply store. The previous quilt I made at Christmas time, I took the pictures to an office supply store and they transferred the pictures for me onto my precut fabric squares. They had an awesome Photo Shop program so they could arrange-rearrange-crop-enlarge-blurr the edges-etc. of the pictures. It was so cool and easy! Those pictures turned out with less of a plastic feel than the ones in this quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast