Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colors for Civil War Blocks

I'm getting a headache looking at fabric via Connecting Threads to come up with colors for the Civil War Blocks on another site.
    I've been thru the Reproduction fabrics which seem to be mostly Earthtones and small prints.
    I want to do a traditional quilt and true to the period.
    Has anyone done one like this and what colors did you use.
    Did you stick to using the same colors for each block or vary in the same family.
    If anyone has done one could you post a picture for me...I'd love to get some ideas.

I know there r books on Amazon .com on Civil War Quilts. I also checked some out at the local library library last summer. U could also just Google and get articles that way. If I remember correctly, there were alot of Samplers and 2 tones in the books I read. I know this is not much help! good luck, the Period qults r so beautiful.

I googled civil war quilt and clicked images. You will find thousands of pictures

I just posted a picture of my Underground Railroad quilt and I used Civil War Reproduction fabrics. Hope it helps because I agree with you - it was hard to pick the fabrics.

Banned
    I have lots of Civil War fabric bought from lots of vendors
    over the last few years
    Reproduction fabric is a good source
    Hancock of Paducah is having a monster sale right now - if you have the patience to go thru the various Mfgrs you'll find alot of Civil War repros
    Vintage and Vogue in New Hampshire is another source
    CW quilt colours vary, but there are lots of blues - greyed blues primarily, some navy, and browns.

Blog Entries
    Maybe pick out 3 or 4 fabrics to use throughout the blocks... one or more for each one, with other fabrics? Purchase a couple yards+ of these and smaller amounts of the rest? :D:D:D

The most gorgeous civil war quilt I have ever seen was done by a member of this board, and I hope she doesn't mind that I post a link to her picture/topic.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87591-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by quiltbugs
    The most gorgeous civil war quilt I have ever seen was done by a member of this board, and I hope she doesn't mind that I post a link to her picture/topic.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87591-1.htm
    your right it is gorgeous...and the colors are in line with what I was thinking...thanks for link

Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    I just posted a picture of my Underground Railroad quilt and I used Civil War Reproduction fabrics. Hope it helps because I agree with you - it was hard to pick the fabrics.
    unable to find your quilt...love to see it..where would I look...can you just add to this page.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    unable to find your quilt...love to see it..where would I look...can you just add to this page.
    I made the top about 6 years ago and just quilted it - 1st UFO for 2011!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast