Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: combining fabrics

combining fabrics

I know, I know...you can do whatever you wish, but:
    I am making a baby quilt from a pattern for "monsters." They recommend using short pile fleece and felt.
    I have some wonderfully bright cotton fabrics that I could use for the blocks. Could I then fuse the fleece and felt to that? I really have enough cotton for the monster bodies, but I do want to have different fabric feels for the baby.
    Would the fusing of the different fabrics work OK?

Thanks in advance for your wonder knowledge you share!

Would you share the name of the pattern? I would love to make one for my GD.

It is McCall's Crafts pattern M6411. I found it on sale at our local Joann's (by making a phone call) for $1.99 last week! The envelope for the pattern say $18.95. If they don't have it, just google it. I found it online for $3.99.
    I also looked at Erica's Craft and Sewing Center in Bloomington, IN (I think it's ericas.com) and they have wonderful baby quilt designs. I have purchased one from them also for the same mom-to-be.

Blog Entries
    Is felt washable?
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I would think so! It is for a baby quilt afterall.
    In the pattern, the felt would be used for eyeballs, spots, teeth and scales. I suppose cotton would do.

Rather than fusing the felt and soft pile, I would just use the bright cotton and add touches of minkee or a suede type
    fabric for texture. Would love to see the finished product.

Good thoughts suggestions, thanks. I think I might try your suggestion, Rose.
    And MadQuilter, I googled washing felt. Apparently there is an acrylic felt which is washable as opposed to the wool felt which is not.

If you fuse it, I would think you would want to stitch it down too so the baby doesn't pull it off and swallow it.

Just as long as it is washable and you use fusible stuff, I can't see it would not work. I think it will be wonderful feeling experience for the baby. Good luck and let us see pictures when you are finished.

Blog Entries
    There is a washable wool felt! I bought some for an layered applique sweatshirt that I made for a Christmas present this past year. It washes up wonderfully! I pre-washed all my colors though before cutting and putting the applique together.

I purchased it at Hancock Fabrics as I couldn't find it at Joann's.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast