Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
combining techniques to make a pictorial quilt >

combining techniques to make a pictorial quilt

combining techniques to make a pictorial quilt

Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM

Default combining techniques to make a pictorial quilt

Hi all,
I am in the process of designing a pictorial quilt/wall-hanging for a row by row challenge I have entered into & am wondering if it is possible to combine techniques for the overall design.
So ... I have to use several blocks listed on the entry form (incl house; snails trail etc & others) as well as any other blocks I wish to add, & am using these to make a pictorial design - I am still doing them in sort-of-rows, but into a picture overall.
I don't want to say too much in case one of my friends also Googles the block details & sees my idea but I am wondering if other forum members have combined techniques in a whole quilt & use, just for example, foundation piecing for one section, regular block piecing somewhere else, maybe applique too.
My gut feeling is yes, but there are quite a few variables in the quilt & am still considering if I also add in some 3-D effects too & use some fabric art features too.
Thinking out loud here, but am keen to hear ideas. It has to be my own work totally, so am careful too not to use anything remotely the same as I have seen, just playing with my paper design & trying to get it to work with the fabric & pull it all together.
Many thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

​I have seen a variety of techniques in both round robins and row robins.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

of course people use all kinds of different techniques in quilts every day. you can combine anything- art quilts tend to use all kinds of different fibers, textures and materials along with many different techniques. be as creative as you like- as long as you follow the guidelines of the project you can do what ever you envision.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:32 AM

Your project sounds very interesting. Please post a picture of it when it's completed.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:07 AM

I love quilting, because I can do whatever I want...they are my quilts and my ideas. I have made a number of "art" quilts that combine traditional piecing, paper piecing, applique, and broderie perse...and the Quilt Police have never come knocking at my door.

Enjoy this adventure, and please share pictures when you are finished.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 AM

I recently saw an art quilt that had all traditional blocks of various styles as a background. It was gradient in color - dark on the bottom half and fading towards light at top. That in itself was beautiful, but then on top of that was a landscape with 3D embellishments. Can't wait to see what your making. When is the challenge due so I'll know how long I have to wait!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM

The one I just finished isn't an art quilt and I had blocks with applique, paper piecing, regular piecing, etc. I was pleased and since it was my design, I just did it the way that I thought best accomplished my purpose.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Have a look at Jenny Bowker http://www.jennybowker.com/quilts/ Her quilts combine many techniques and they might give you some ideas, one of her quilts also got an Honorable mention at Houston this year http://www.quilts.org/winners.html
She is a quilter from my home town and her quilts in person are nothing short of spectacular