Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Come on, Clover!

Come on, Clover!

Why is it that the most common width for binding is 2 1/4", and Clovers largest bias tape maker is only 2"?! I can't understand. . :-/

Good question. No answer here, sorry.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

E-mail them. Perhaps they will listen & make this size.

clover's bia tape makers are not (designed) by clover to make binding...they were created to make bias tape-people use for trim, embellishment, applique...they started making them long before the quilting craze took hold and quilters started looking for tools to make things easier- i have all the sizes of bias tape makers & really don't get how people use them for binding- since they are folded totally different- but that's just because i've never sat down with a prepared bias strip & tried to figure it out i guess. but---there is a difference between bias strips/tape and bias binding....2 different animals...i think simplicity has a binding maker on the market- it probably has the larger sizes-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I don't think these binders make true double fold bindings...so it wouldn't be useful to many quilters.

Blog Entries
    I have the Simplicity binding machine and the large tip that folds the 2 1/4" strip in half and presses it. It works great and fast.
    Got fabric?

I don't use a bias tape measure - I cut the fabric the width I want, fold it in half lengthwise, sew the raw edge to the quilt, then handstitch the folded edge to the back side. I want the double fabric on the fold of the binding.