Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine >

Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine

Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine

Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
I have the Brother Scan N Cut and use it for applique designs/patterns. If you are strictly looking to cut squares, rectangles, triangles, or small strips (like for a log cabin quilt), I think you would like the Accu-Quilt or Go! better. But for your own designs, or other applique, that's where the Brother Scan N Cut shines! It might just do one layer, but you can cut numerous pieces at the same time from a 12x12 piece of fabric.

For example, I did a French Roses quilt that had 25 blocks, each block had a somewhat intricate rose pattern with 3 layers (various size petals) plus leaves. Hand cutting each layer (times 25) by hand would have taken all day (not to mention hurt my hand due to arthritis). Instead, I was able to cut the flower applique quite fast by scanning the pattern and have the BSNC cut the pattern(s) from the fabric for me! Not to mention it was able to fussy cut.

I love it! Yes, you do need to starch or fuse your fabric, first - but you'd have to do that at some point along the way, anyway, for applique. I had always wanted to do applique, and now I'm able to and really have fun at the same time!
Totally agree. I have both and its like apples and oranges. I can't believe those who says its mostly for appliques when It has hundreds of quilting blocks, that can be resized, and you can even have that 1/4 in seam allowance drawn on since so many seem to have problems getting it right. I also use it to scan my designs in that I'm going to applique using my emb machine, cuts down on the trimming later on. its also great for crafts with the kids. Plus, you can scan documents, pictures etc on you computer so it can be used for other things than crafts, quilts giving it extra purpose. Yes, it cuts 1 layer at a time but depending on the size you can cut lots of the squares, triangles, etc on that one layer and its super fast. Yes, you have to starch the fabric for quilting, don't most of us do that too. Its like everything else, there is a learning curve so you need to put a little time in to learn but we also do that with the accucut, etc. I might not be able to cut 4 layers at a time but I can cut as many squares as the accuquilt does at one time, in that one layer and I can fussy cut my design to get the effect I want. Brother's machine is great. No, I don't sell them or represent the company but I do like my scanner just like I like my accucut but I use the scanner more because I don't have to put as much strength into turning the crank.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM

There is a woman in one of my quilting groups that makes award-winning, drop-dead gorgeous applique quilts. She got a Brother Scan-n-Cut and LOVES it. She can design her own appliques and make them whatever size she wants. She told us it's far superior to the Accuquilt for this reason. With Accuquilt, you're limited to whatever dies they sell. For instance, they have an apple core die, but I was disappointed when I discovered how huge it is. If I had a Scan-n-Cut, I could make it any size I want.

Think about how many times someone has asked "have you seen any _______ fabric?" Fill in the blank with whatever: horse, tractor, owl, flag..... instead of searching for special fabric, you could create your own horse/tractor/owl/flag applique.

edit: Ha ha ha!! - I read that last sentence and an image popped into my head. A horse sitting on a tractor, with an owl on his shoulder waving a flag. HA!

Last edited by Peckish; 07-22-2014 at 09:40 AM.