Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine >

Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine

Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Default Compare Accuquilt to the new Brother cutting machine

JoAnn's Fabrics carries a new machine made by Brother. It is a computerized cutting machine unlike the Accuquilt. I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on which machine is best for quilting and cutting blocks.
Thanks, Bobbiek
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 AM

I saw one at Hancock's the last time I was there and was wondering the same thing. This weekend I saw one being used on a sewing show on tv and it looked so easy to use and all she did was choose her pattern set it up and push a button and it did all the work. The screen looked like it came with most of the shapes we use in quilting and you can scan anything elsr you want to put on it even with the 1/4 inch allowance. I was very impressed and will be looking into it soon.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Just my opinion but I think it is comparing apples to oranges. I don't feel that the Brother Scan & Cut (if that is what you are talking about) is really good for cutting out pieces for quilts - appliques yes.

For one thing the Brother can only cut 1 layer at a time. The other thing is that your fabric either has to have fusible on it or be REALLY stabilized, like almost cardboard stiff No you don't have to buy dies, you can scan your design in which work really well for applique but in my opinion not for piecing.

The Accuquilt you do have to buy dies but you can cut up to 4 layers at a time.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 AM

Just a note - before you buy have them put regular fabric on and cut then see. The demo I saw it didn't do really well (could have been operator).
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

The Brother Scan and Cut will cut one fabric at a time. Several guild members who have bought the Brother have returned them not because they didn't work great, just wasn't best for quilting. One had trouble with her fabric staying put on the sticky sheet.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I found these on our Search Function. There are more too, so you can get an idea of "what's what"!!

Brother scan n cut

video about cutting with Brother Scan N Cut
New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK
Brother scan and cut
Silhouette vs Brother Scanncut for Fabric Cutting?
Best Place to Buy - Brother Cut n Scan
"Go" Cutter or Brother Scan N CutScanNCut from brother
The Brother "Scan N Cut" Discussion
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM

I have the Brother Scan N Cut and use it for applique designs/patterns. If you are strictly looking to cut squares, rectangles, triangles, or small strips (like for a log cabin quilt), I think you would like the Accu-Quilt or Go! better. But for your own designs, or other applique, that's where the Brother Scan N Cut shines! It might just do one layer, but you can cut numerous pieces at the same time from a 12x12 piece of fabric.

For example, I did a French Roses quilt that had 25 blocks, each block had a somewhat intricate rose pattern with 3 layers (various size petals) plus leaves. Hand cutting each layer (times 25) by hand would have taken all day (not to mention hurt my hand due to arthritis). Instead, I was able to cut the flower applique quite fast by scanning the pattern and have the BSNC cut the pattern(s) from the fabric for me! Not to mention it was able to fussy cut.

I love it! Yes, you do need to starch or fuse your fabric, first - but you'd have to do that at some point along the way, anyway, for applique. I had always wanted to do applique, and now I'm able to and really have fun at the same time!

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 07-21-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Just my opinion but I think it is comparing apples to oranges. I don't feel that the Brother Scan & Cut (if that is what you are talking about) is really good for cutting out pieces for quilts - appliques yes.

For one thing the Brother can only cut 1 layer at a time. The other thing is that your fabric either has to have fusible on it or be REALLY stabilized, like almost cardboard stiff No you don't have to buy dies, you can scan your design in which work really well for applique but in my opinion not for piecing.

The Accuquilt you do have to buy dies but you can cut up to 4 layers at a time.
You can cut without fusible, and you can cut quilt blocks on it as well. i do think the apples and oranges is a fair comparison, however with the die cutting systems you are limited to a certain size whereas the brother you an cut various sizes, you may only be able to cut one layer but you can cut multiple pieces on a sheet as much as there is room for. You can cut some of your more difficult to cut patterns that have intricate curved piecing. I have one and also a sizzix and just see a myriad of potential in the brother for piecing, fussy cutting, applique and whatnot. you can also put sewing lines on your piecing with the pens. I personally think its cheaper in the long run. I can cut out HST in multiple sizes and don't have to buy multiple dies to get those sizes. there are a few advanced quilts I want to do that the pieces are very intricate with a lot of curves. I like the idea that I can just scan those pieces in my machine, instead of drawing with templates and cutting with scissors because of how intricate these pieces are.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:59 PM

If you are really interested there are a few facebook groups just on the scanncut and quiltinng/fabric. I joined these groups before purchasing mine. You can see all the different things they are doing with their scanncut. Also a yahoo group and a couple general scanncut groups that aren't solely for fabric, and quilting. I love it. It was even easy to adjust seam allowances without really knowing to much about the machine. I am looking forward to having the actual space to keep it out when I move so I can really play with it. I have some vinyl that's been waiting for a t-shirt embroidery design. It can also be useful for appliques for embroidery machines if you have one. Really there are lots of uses. Go to a brother dealer and have them demo it for you and let you watch the extended video of all the quilting features. I have cut paper, and fabric with no fusible successfully on my first try. haven't tried fusible yet, but did play around with my MIL cricut with fabric, and some of the techniques for that made it a little easier to transition to the brother machine
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 AM

I really think the Brother would be the best for applique for sure as Dolphyngyrl says. I know I wouldn't spend the money on the applique dies for the Go or Studio unless I was going to make several of those same patterns and I rarely do that, so I have never bought any. I use a Studio and use mainly geometric dies and love it for that, and that is all I need. If needed to do applique I would love that Brother.