Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine >

Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine

Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine

Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has used those cans of compressed air that computer techs use to clean the gunk from under the presser foot and other areas of your sewing maching. It seems like it would be the ideal thing and so easy to use.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Seems to me that it would blow the lint tighter into the machine...might be better to get a mini vacumn instead.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM

That is what my sewing machine dealer told me to use. I'm also to use it for cleaning the bobin case. Then I can use an alcohol wipe to finish wiping out the bobin case.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM

I've heard from a number of sources NOT to use the compressed air as it will push lint into the machine rather than pull it out. Never tried it, so I don't know whether it really does.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Janie Q
That is what my sewing machine dealer told me to use. I'm also to use it for cleaning the bobin case. Then I can use an alcohol wipe to finish wiping out the bobin case.
I'm confused.
Which do you use? The vacuum or the spray air?
I've been thinking of buying a small vac for my machine but I have a couple cans of the air sitting in my stash room. lol
Oh right after I hit "send" I see 2 other posts saying the canned air is bad. OK. Thanks, Ill use them for my pc only.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM

I was told that compressed air can spit out "water" causing issues with computerized machines and rust on others.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I have heard NOT to ise it ... BUT... well I never did listen well :roll: LOL I used it in the bobbin area and it really blew the stuff out :shock: Kind of used it in the head area , just used it at an anfle.

They say be careful because of the moisture in the can , suppose to be bad for the machines and electronics
Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by Janie Q
I'm confused.
Which do you use? The vacuum or the spray air?
I've been thinking of buying a small vac for my machine but I have a couple cans of the air sitting in my stash room. lol
Oh right after I hit "send" I see 2 other posts saying the canned air is bad. OK. Thanks, Ill use them for my pc only.
I took classes at my Janome dealer and I was instructed and shown to use canned air to clean my machine and bobin case. I trust they know what they are talking bout in regards to my machine- they have been in business many years.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Both of the dealers in my town say DO NOT USE CANNED AIR! Use a vacuum cleaner because it sucks the lint out instead of blowing it into the machine. I don't always listen, but this makes sense to me!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM

I have also been warned against using canned air for the machine. There is a little vacuum you can use, but check around for the best price. I bought mine at a quilt shop and was dissapointed to see it later for a lot less. Check ebay and sometimes computer stores put them on sale.