Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confused

High Shank? Low Shank? How am I supposed to know? It doesn't say in the manual. I wanted to get some new feet but I'm at a loss with all the low shank high shank stuff.

Which leads me to wonder. Can you use old attachments on new machines? I see sellers on ebay bundling them up with "sewing stuff" with generic "vintage singer attachments" in the description but I don't want to be a dummy :| and get something I can't use.

Help anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

pab

Blog Entries
    Can you call the shop where you bought the machine and get an answeer from the shop?Go on line to singer,?Pab

Blog Entries
    If you take the foot off you can see. Most of mine are the pop on kind with no shank, just the foot. My megaquilter has a high shank, like a bar that attaches to the machine with a screw.

Blog Entries
    I googled this machine, and they are snap on feet.

I think I need to go back to kindergarden. I thought it was one or the other. I didn't know "none" was an option.

Thanks ladies

:)

Raise the presser foot----measure from the plate to the hole where the screw goes in. Or measure your other foot , from the bottom of the groove where the screw fastens in to the bottom of the foot---1'1/4 " high shank 3/4 " low shank...
    hard to tell from photo, but looks like low shank.

You can measure the shank on your machine (looks like a low to me..) - this page will tell you how.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6153221_lo...-machines.html

Blog Entries
    It is possible that you can use a generic snap on for this machine. There are some machines that have to have the feet made for them, but I think Singer's might take a universal.

ahh I'm having a light bulb moment with the statement below. NOW I get it. You're all wonderful. Thanks so much.

"Newer sewing machines tend to use snap on feet, while machines made before 1980 have presser feet that screw in place. If your machine's feet snap on, you do not have to worry about the shank height."

Blog Entries
    Snap on feet can be used on either high or low shank.
    I bought an adapter for my low shank machine and can now use most universal snap on feet.
    Snap ons are usually cheaper than buying the foot with the shank attached :D:D:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast