Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The confusing world of thread... >

The confusing world of thread...

The confusing world of thread...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Default The confusing world of thread...

Ok, so I have only used Clark and Coats since I started in November. I am wanting to try the higher quality thread but am confused on what to get. I am looking at the Gutermann, which seems to be a good thread but what about Aurfil (sp?). Can I used it on my Janome DC2011? Can it be used for piecing as well as quilting? Do I need a certain weight for different projects? 100% cotton only, covered polyester?, what does it all mean. lol

I was going to order some Gutterman from MSCO but got nervous about it. Would their 100% Mercerized Cotton thread work on my Janome? It states it is for hand and machine quilting.

The C&C is leaving a lot of lint on my machine and being that it is fairly new (to me), I want to keep it clean and use the best if I can afford it.

I know everyone has their difference preferance and that every machine is different...and I have done a search and read some posts. I just want to know if I can use the Gutermann on my machine and if I can use for everything or is it just for quilting.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 PM

I use Gutterman on my Janome 6500 with no problem for piecing and machine quilting. I stock up whenever JoAnns has their 50% off thread sale. The Gutterman cotton thread for hand quilting has a glace finish and shouldn't be used on your machine. I accidentally filled a bobbin with it once. Didn't work out so well.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

visit Superior Threads web site- they have a huge amount of information/help- they have free charts you can print off that tell you the differences in threads- what they are best used for- what needles to use with them- they also have what is called Thread University---with tips, help, discussions--- they are a wonderful resource and offer a wealth of free information- will answer many of your questions.
personally i use aurafil, silk, poly blends, once in a great while a cotton thread- cotton is the lintiest- (and in my opinion the weakest)
but there are some people who will not use anything else- it's a personal choice- i try lots of different threads- there are so many to choose from i see no reason to restrict my choices.
if you are worried about a thread working well in your machine pick up one small spool & try it out before investing in a large amount- it sucks to spend $30 on thread to find your machine hates it...i have spent $15 on a cone of thread at quilt shows just to get it home & find it is worthless for me- regardless of what i do- it is nothing but frustration--now i try them out in small amounts first then if i like the thread i buy larger amounts...much less frustration & waste of $$.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! And the site to check out.

And ckcowl, that is what I worry about, buying something then it not working. In a haste one day, I grabbed hand quilting thread not knowing as I was trying to watch DD and look at the same time. I bought 3 spools!! Then when it kept breaking, I looked at it and realized I got the wrong type. So now I have 3 spools just taking up space.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM

I use Gutterman almost exclusively for both piecing and quilting and never had any kind of a problem with it. I have a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned

use YLI 60 weight in the bobbin and Aurifil 50wt on top in my Elna and Janome
Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
visit Superior Threads web site- they have a huge amount of information/help- they have free charts you can print off that tell you the differences in threads- what they are best used for- what needles to use with them- they also have what is called Thread University---with tips, help, discussions--- they are a wonderful resource and offer a wealth of free information- will answer many of your questions.
personally i use aurafil, silk, poly blends, once in a great while a cotton thread- cotton is the lintiest- (and in my opinion the weakest)
but there are some people who will not use anything else- it's a personal choice- i try lots of different threads- there are so many to choose from i see no reason to restrict my choices.
if you are worried about a thread working well in your machine pick up one small spool & try it out before investing in a large amount- it sucks to spend $30 on thread to find your machine hates it...i have spent $15 on a cone of thread at quilt shows just to get it home & find it is worthless for me- regardless of what i do- it is nothing but frustration--now i try them out in small amounts first then if i like the thread i buy larger amounts...much less frustration & waste of $$.
I agree go to the Superior Threads site. They are very helpful. I belong to the thread of the month club & as amember got the dvd all about threads it is a great thing. They also have try me stuff. That is what I started with, you can't pick colors but get a different varity of threads. Nice way of trying them.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 AM

Aurifil works great; it's low lint and its cotton and it is very strong. Cotton is recommended by most for piecing. The 50 wt has 2ply which makes it even better for piecing because you'll have more accurate blocks. That's how I got started on it; doing a Civil War BOM and I couldn't get my blocks to size. My teacher checked and my seams were right and so was my cutting. After I switched to the 2ply I couldn't believe the difference that one extra ply of thread that most have made. It's a strong thread and most people have no problems with it. I have Vikings and a kenmore/janome and they have no problem with it. Get a spool and try it; that's the best way to see if something is a good fit for you.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM

Thanks! I think I will place my order with MSCO, have some fabric that I was debating on ordering so I will add a spool of Gutermann to try. lol
Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Superior Thread....hands down the best website for information. Knowledge is power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!