Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confussed on thread color

Confussed on thread color

Below is a picture of the quilt I am hand quilting. Inside each heart I am quilting a dozen or so smaller hearts. My problem is I can't decide if I should quilt the hearts a color that matches the heart or the natural color that the rest of the quilt is going to be in. What do you think?Name:  IMG_0683 posting.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  31.6 KBI've asked several questions on this quilt because to be honest this quilt has given me so many problems but it is for my Aunt so I press on.

I think I would quilt it in the natural color that you are using on the rest of the quilt - just my opinion. That will make all of the hearts show up

Banned
    I would quilt the hearts in the same color of the fabric. I would want them to add dimension rather than new design.
    On the other hand if you want to emphasise the heart then quilt in the same color as the background.
    But for me an my preference for the overall look of the quilt - it would be in the same color as the hearts. I know that is lots of thread but I believe it would be more dynamic.

I might do some of them one way and some another. Some might get feathers and some might get hearts and arrows. I might add lace to some, buttons to others (although I don't usually do any embellishment). Your aunt is going to love that quilt no matter what. The fact that you're hand quilting it makes it ever so special.

I would use the same color of thread found in each one's fabric. If you do them in neutral, you will be (unintentionally) adding another dimension to the quilt. Or is that what you want to do?
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Whichever way you want. Personally I am drawn to quilting with thread that matches the fabric as I like to see quilting texture more than a thread color. But your quilt will be beautiful however you do it.

Seems like the majority is going with the color of the fabric. That is the way I was leaning too. How will that look on the back though when the back is a patterned fabric ? Is the back considered unimportant since it is the front pattern that matters.
    Last edited by Hand quiltin Grammy; 03-21-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Also do that make that many hand quilting thread colors at a local Joann for example or would you go with a machine quilting thread?

I agree with with Holice.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Count me with the ones that think the thread should be uniform throughout the quilt. Your Aunt will love it. Thanks for sharing.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast