Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
contemplating an accuquilt go >

contemplating an accuquilt go

contemplating an accuquilt go

Old 06-23-2016, 05:51 PM

I have had one for several years. I have many dies! I am in a quilt group that is doing the 1930 Farmers Wife blocks (6.5 inches). I have the 6 inch Qube (finished size), and there are many of the block pieces I can cut with it. They always go together perfect and are so much easier than rotary cutting or cutting with the templates. I can't cut all of the pieces but I can cut many of them. On some blocks I can cut the whole thing with it. I have the Hunters Star die and it goes together beautifully, as does the Churn Dash, I could go on an on! I have the GO that I use them with.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:05 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have GO...love it and every die I have invested in! Wish the Qubes were out when I started buying dies! As good an investment as purchasing a sewing machine.
What are Qubes?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use it for every quilt I make. I have the strip dies in every size. I can make a 6" wide border or an 1 1/2" wide border for a queen size quilt in one turn. I cut bias binding in less then a minute.

I cut a piece of paper first with every new die. If the dimension is off I get a replacement. I check each new die this way. I don't cut fabric before I check the die. Many times the paper will be cut perfectly to size and the fabric will be off. I know then that the fabric is shifting. I either have the grain line in the wrong direction or the fabric is stretching due to low thread count. If the fabric is prone to raveling it will stretch. A piece of paper on the blade before the fabric will usually solve the problem.
Onebyone--how do you cut bias binding with yours? I'm needing to cut bias for a scalloped quilt and didn't even think about using my Go--do share??
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM

I love my GoBig--bought it during their sale after Thanksgiving ($50 off) and bought the strip set, then bought the triangle in the square in 2 sizes (I always mess that up trying to rotary cut!) and the log cabin--all on sale. I plan on getting a Qube next summer at the KC Regional Quilt Fest but still debating which size seems most practical to me. I can cut soooo much more accurately and it's amazingly fast!

I have a Shillouete Cameo that I got for appliques(but have to use fusible and only layer at a time) and for cardstock and vinyls--works great for that but doesn't hold a candle to using the Go for fabrics. I got the GoBig cause I realized I really needed to be more accurate plus was having shoulder pain when cutting and standing to cut a whole quilt left my knees super sore--well worth it.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Onebyone--how do you cut bias binding with yours? I'm needing to cut bias for a scalloped quilt and didn't even think about using my Go--do share??

If if I am not mistaken, there is a tutorial online for cutting bias strips.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by blahel View Post
What are Qubes?
Qubes are boxed sets of dies which include several common shapes and sizes. One neat (but slightly costly all at one time) little box
Old 06-24-2016, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
The Hancock Fabrics by me had two Accuquilt Go boxes sitting on a shelf yesterday. I didn't even look at the price since I wasn't interested in another one. I have the regular Go! and the Go! Big. I should have checked the price and let volunteers know at an organization group in case anyone else wanted one. Oh, well! I did buy a 5" die when it was 40 % off.

Connie
I didn't know Handcock carried Accuquilt! I wonder if they are included in the big going out of business sale they are having. I may have to stop. (pouts) wish I knew that earlier!!
Old 06-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I found a Go with starter die and mat at Hancock's stuck in the back with the upholstery fabric and bought it for 60% off. They started out with 40% off. The dies sold out when they were 40% off. I didn't need the Go but for that price it will be a great item for my guild auction.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:29 AM

Hi, I felt the same way it took me years before I purchased my first Go, this May. So, glad I did it has saved me so much time and has caused me to want to make more stuff. I work a lot with 5" squares that I cut down to 2.5" squares I just purchased the die for 2.5" sq. I was going to get the Go Baby because it was cheaper but after talking to retreat member went ahead and got the Go. Go for it you will enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
The only thing I didn't like about the Go was that you can only use Go dies in it. I sold mine and bought a big shot pro and can use almost every die on the market in it. But it's not electric.
true, and Sizzix dies are less expensive, but their choice is very limited last time I looked anyway, wish they would expand....another cutter is called crossover...I understand it takes any die, but I don't know anyone who has one.

i have both Sizzix and GO and not regretting either purchase. Sort of like having two- or more-sewing machines...each has its own job....