Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Continous Bias Strips -- HELP PLEASE!!!! >

Continous Bias Strips -- HELP PLEASE!!!!

Continous Bias Strips -- HELP PLEASE!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM

kathyd - I have the laminated bias binding sheet from Fons and Porter - but I still don't get it :oops:

mary quite contrary - Yes!! I do love this board!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
oooooooooooo - kewl! i saved them both, but like the fact that McCalls tells you how large the squares should be to get various lengths of bias. :-)
Yes, that is "kewl"! This way I don't cut more than I need!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM

I dont have that book, darn it! I am not sure if I am understanding what you are not getting but let me give it a shot. After you mark your lines and pull the two edges together, to offset the lines match the first line of one edge to the second line of the other edge. At that line, put a pin on the line 1/4" from the edge then put the pin through the other edge of fabric on the line 1/4"from the edge. That should match up you lines. I hope this makes sense! :-)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 AM

http://scpbanks.blogspot.com/2008/11...part-viii.html

Does this help?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Thank you for the great tutes. I have a dumb question-- aren't we supposed to use straight grain cut pieces for quilt binding? Unless it is curved binding of course. I thought the straght grain made a stronger binding? I'm confused.
Loretta, she is asking about bias for making applique. For binding it is better to use straight grain unless its for scalloped or curved edged quilts.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mgshaw
I dont have that book, darn it! I am not sure if I am understanding what you are not getting but let me give it a shot. After you mark your lines and pull the two edges together, to offset the lines match the first line of one edge to the second line of the other edge. At that line, put a pin on the line 1/4" from the edge then put the pin through the other edge of fabric on the line 1/4"from the edge. That should match up you lines. I hope this makes sense! :-)
OK - I get the offset part, but it's the pinning that I'm confused about. Do you put the pin parallel to the cut edge, or does it go a 1/4 from the cut edge through the lines (lining them up so they are on top of each other) or are the lines crossed, kind of like an x?

I'm just going to have to keep trying on cheap fabric till I get it right. When I tried, I sewed the seam, the lines were criss crossed, not on top of each other so the lines at the intersection did not line up, they were off.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Thank you for the great tutes. I have a dumb question-- aren't we supposed to use straight grain cut pieces for quilt binding? Unless it is curved binding of course. I thought the straght grain made a stronger binding? I'm confused.
Not a dumb question at all!!

With all these tutorials, I still can't get the continuous thing right!! :roll:
Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearpaw
OK - I get the offset part, but it's the pinning that I'm confused about. Do you put the pin parallel to the cut edge, or does it go a 1/4 from the cut edge through the lines (lining them up so they are on top of each other) or are the lines crossed, kind of like an x?

I'm just going to have to keep trying on cheap fabric till I get it right. When I tried, I sewed the seam, the lines were criss crossed, not on top of each other so the lines at the intersection did not line up, they were off.

I think (it has been a while since I have done this) that when you put the pin in (just like when you are matching points, straight down through both pieces) that the lines will be sort of an x, and after they are sewed and opened they should be straight.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 AM

I think (it has been a while since I have done this) that when you put the pin in (just like when you are matching points, straight down through both pieces) that the lines will be sort of an x, and after they are sewed and opened they should be straight.
All right, I'll try again.

I found a picture of the quilt I'm making on-line:

http://www.nbquilts.org/images/BlueR...x/quiltp47.jpg
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM

I like that! Very pretty!
You know, you could just cut strips from the lines you marked and then just join the ends with a 45 degree angle. Might be a whole lot less headache! But if you're like me, I have to keep going until I get it figured out!