Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Contoversial quilt story on MSNBC...what do you think? >

Contoversial quilt story on MSNBC...what do you think?

Contoversial quilt story on MSNBC...what do you think?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by QuiltSage
Why do you consider a vagina indecent? Lots of people have one.
It's not the vagina, but the act of exposing it in public which is indecent. There are laws on the books against this.
What are the laws with respect to perceived indecency as it applies to art? I'm not being snotty, I honestly don't know.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM

I have a RIGHT to not like this quilt. I am not casting stones at the quilter; I am saying I DON'T LIKE IT. I DON'T LIKE my children seeing something like this. I am a very modest person and I screen what my kids watch, send them to a private Christian school (so they are not exposed to this kind of "art" and the like in a public school), and I plan on keeping their innocence as long as I can.

So, instead of respecting my opinion, I feel like I am being attacked for not liking this quilt and not wanting to expose my children to this. Being upset with my opinion of this quilt is pretty hypocritical.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

yes but this can be viewed as offensive. i doubt anyone going to see a quilt expected the chance of seeing one made like this one was.
artist's are always pushing the boundries just because they can, not because they should.
Private areas of the body are called private because they should remain private. it seems todays' gotten lots of people just plain Ok with anything that goes. not a good thing.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
yes but this can be viewed as offensive. i doubt anyone going to see a quilt expected the chance of seeing one made like this one was.
artist's are always pushing the boundries just because they can, not because they should.
Private areas of the body are called private because they should remain private. it seems todays' gotten lots of people just plain Ok with anything that goes. not a good thing.
I so agree!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I have a RIGHT to not like this quilt. I am not casting stones at the quilter; I am saying I DON'T LIKE IT. I DON'T LIKE my children seeing something like this. I am a very modest person and I screen what my kids watch, send them to a private Christian school (so they are not exposed to this kind of "art" and the like in a public school), and I plan on keeping their innocence as long as I can.

So, instead of respecting my opinion, I feel like I am being attacked for not liking this quilt and not wanting to expose my children to this. Being upset with my opinion of this quilt is pretty hypocritical.
As I said before I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to like it. I don't care that you don't. But I do take exception with the idea that this isn't art at all and shouldn't be described as such, JUST BECAUSE you don't like it.

And if you recall I did say I thought a warning of sorts was probably a good idea, so that children can learn at the right time and in the right way about the social ills of our society, and that it is right to have compassion for those less fortunate instead of spitting on or condemning them for the situation they are in. I'm pretty sure your kids are learning that at their private christian school, so they should be getting the lesson with or without the art quilt in question. Right?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM

And with that, I'm out. No sense in beating my head against the wall any more tonight.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 PM

It wouldn't bother me at all. However, we grew up knowing and believing that the female body is a beautiful thing, not something to hide and be ashamed of. That's not to say we walked around naked or anything, but my dad had plenty of topless "art" all over the house. Our friends were often surprised but never seemed to be offended. It was just a non-issue in our family.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie

I am in total agreement with you, so you are not alone.

If the quilter wanted to make a statement about homelessness..fine. If she thought depicting the woman in the nude was a metaphor for being stripped of all she owned...fine

Why did she have to display her spreadeagle? Certainly not for artistic sake, but to shock and possibly to offend.

Someone mentioned the many nudes in art through the ages. Michaelangelo did beautiful nudes. Reuban painted beautiful nudes. Neither felt the need to pose the women in such a manner as to disrespect the women.

Would those in support of this quilt, also support men's magazines that leave nothing to the imagination? Many an adult bookstore have defended their presence near elementary schools by calling their magazines "art" and considering their art as "free speech".

I stand by my position that this quilt is offensive to me, and quite honestly, I think the artist would be pleased, because I think that really was her goal.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Again, I have the RIGHT to not consider it art. I can smear a booger on a canvas and call it art, but is it?

My children do learn about compassion for those less fortunate, but NOT by looking at a quilt of a naked lady. I doubt anyone would learn compassion from this quilt, except maybe to have compassion for the quilter who thinks that this quilt is going to make a difference in the plight of the homeless.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM

I'm an RN and in all my years as a nurse I helped with a lot of pelvic exams. Let me tell you there are prettier things in the world to put on your quilt than genetalia. We quilt for ourselves, family, friends and causes. Some are beautiful and some are not. Sometimes we need to take all that pain and hurt from our lives and purge it from our hearts and souls. So we take all the hurt and pain and put it onto cotton, little pieces, big pieces, straight, curved and somehow all that pain becomes something beautiful or maybe it's not. We don't care. We just need to quilt. So keep quilting and make it something from your heart.