Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Converting a Longarm to Hand Crank Machine???? >

Converting a Longarm to Hand Crank Machine????

Converting a Longarm to Hand Crank Machine????

Old 07-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Default Converting a Longarm to Hand Crank Machine????

Ok....I know this may be the weirdest post on the board.....I was just reminded today of what a bleak future and state of chaos America would be in if a nuclear device were detonated in the atmosphere....the ensuing emp would fry all electronics. I have always thought (since I was a child) that I would have a treadle machine in the event of that dismal future "just in case" so that my I could maintain my "habit"...lol.

I have inherited my grandmother's treadle machine and am very happy with it. We also have several Amish families in our community who have wonderful Berninas that they have converted to treadles. Yes---I was in amazement too that those wonderful Swiss machines would be downgraded...lol....But it got me thinking about my Handi-quilter Avante.....has anyone ever heard of anyone converting....or just planning to convert one to a hand-crank or treadle version. I think it would take 2 people to operate but......
Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kathymarie View Post
Ok....I know this may be the weirdest post on the board.....I was just reminded today of what a bleak future and state of chaos America would be in if a nuclear device were detonated in the atmosphere....the ensuing emp would fry all electronics. I have always thought (since I was a child) that I would have a treadle machine in the event of that dismal future "just in case" so that my I could maintain my "habit"...lol. ......
I wouldn't worry too much about having a LAQ that will work w/o electricity after a horrific disaster. You are going to be worried about so many other basic needs like food, water, fuel, toilet and heat that you won't have any leisure time to think of doing any quilting.

I remember walking to elementary school during the Cuban missile crisis hearing the horns being tested.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 PM

When you convert a sewing machine to a treadle, it has to have a motor on the outside, so the belt has a place to connect at the right angle. Where the Avante is so big, and you can't reach the handwheel and still drive the machine, it wouldn't be a good candidate for a hand crank. I think you'd have to re-direct the belt to an outside source, and make it a treadle. Come to think about it.... I think the H.Q's are direct drive, which means they don't use a belt -- just shafts and gears. Hmmm... It gives a person something to think about...
Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You are going to be worried about so many other basic needs like food, water, fuel, toilet and heat that you won't have any leisure time.
This was my first thought, also. If such a thing were to happen, we'd have much bigger problems to deal with.

And no, I've never heard of anyone moving backwards, technology-wise.

And on that note, I think I'm going to go find something cheerful and happy to watch on tv.....
Old 07-07-2015, 03:20 PM

anyway you could always hand quilt.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM

My thought too, I wouldn't even worry about it, but that is me. However, in case of something not so drastic it might be an interesting thought. I think a treadle would be just fine in that even though.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 AM

There are other situations not so drastic that could put you without electricity for a long while or you might choose to live off grid as many are doing these days. Your could probably learn a lot from your Amish neighbors. Just thinking about it, the treadle is great to have and you could do straight or curved line quilting on it or learn to hand quilt. Our ancestors managed just fine.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Okay I bought a very nice (needed some tender loving care) Singer 99 in a carrying case from the back of a flea market in North Carolina. When I got her home, I cleaned her very well and she ran beautifully on the motor. However, I have several antique sewing machines which I have saved from un-knowing people who didn't know what they were selling and thought "I think I am going to make her a non-electrical machine". I went to Sew-Classic and bought the hand-crank and the DH took the motor off and I put the hand crank on it and she has been wonderful. I can control the perfect straight seam and during all the electrical outages we had during this last winter, I could sit and sew under my battery operated lamp with the straightest seams in the world. I kept the motor for her but she is used a lot for a quick sewing item in an instant.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Wow QuiltingHaven, that's exactly what I want to do with my 99! I have a 66 that I convert back and forth from crank to motor, but it's so heavy. I figured the 99 would be a lot more portable, so to speak. You didn't have any problems attaching the hand crank? I read some instructions online and they made it sound rather complicated.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 AM

If you could convert it to treadle that would be great for free motion quilting, I think a hand crank would make it difficult as you only get one free hand. I love free motion quilting on my treadle, it's so relaxing!